The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UN Environment's Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition. This post is located in Ecosystem Division at the Global Programme of Action for the Protection of the Marine Environment from Land-based Activities in the Nairobi duty station. Within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
• Works with key clients to facilitate the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned marine litter programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes specific aspects of the marine litter programme development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and recommends corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
• Carries out basic research on marine litter prevention for programmes, operations and other activities, etc., to include collecting, analyzing and presenting statistical data and other information gathered from diverse sources.
• Provides substantive support for policy coordination and evaluation functions of e.g. marine litter resolutions, including the review and analysis of emerging issues and trends, participation in evaluations or research activities and studies.
• Assists in performing consulting assignments, in collaboration with partners, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing action plans.
• Participates in survey initiatives; assists with design of data collection tools; issues data collection tools, reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares preliminary conclusions.
• Contributes to the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, reports to the UN Environment Assembly, etc.
• Provides administrative and substantive support to marine litter related meetings, in particular UNEA relevant as the Ad hoc open-ended experts group, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying and proposed participants, preparation of background documents and presentations, handling logistics, etc.
• Undertakes outreach activities; participates in the development of marine litter prevention training workshops, courses, seminars, etc.; participates in and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Participates in field missions, including provision of substantive and administrative support, data collection, etc.
• Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
• Performs other related duties as required.