As part of the prescribed burn crew (fall), the BCLMT will be responsible for the preparation and implementation of prescribed fire at various nature preserves under the direction of a Prescribed Burn Leader. They must use safety equipment and maintain a safety-conscious attitude at all times. Tasks include assisting with preserve management activities such as prescribed burning, applying herbicides, clearing and mowing firebreaks, boundary posting, repairing and organizing burn equipment, tree and brush cutting, fence construction/removal, constructing parking areas, maintaining vehicles and equipment, and other land management tasks as necessary. This position requires irregular hours, travel on short notice and the ability to work weekends during the fire season and occassionaly during the summer.
Housing is provided. Transportation from The Nature Conservancy office to the various preserves will be provided by The Nature Conservancy. There are three (3) positions available. This is a full-time (40 hr/week) seasonal position with a start date of June 14 (or ASAP) and end date of September 17, 2021 but may continue into October if funding is available). The BCLMT maintains preserve areas frequented by the visiting public and performs land management activities.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Supervises no staff, but may help plan and direct preserve work groups, including staff or volunteers.
- Maintain preserve areas frequented by the visiting public
- Remove exotic species and/or species monitoring (including use of herbicides)
- Prescribed burn preparation, implementation, and post-burn monitoring
- Maintain tools and equipment
- Brush and tree removal
- Seed harvest
- Photo and vegetation monitoring
- Other preserve management activities
- All TNC staff actively participating on a prescribed burn must be qualified as a FFT2. The Preserve Management Assistant will participate in prescribed burns, preparing fire lines, maintaining equipment, post-burn monitoring and other tasks.
- Requires considerable physical exertion and/or muscular strain.
- May require long hours in isolated settings.
- Makes day to day decisions as delegated by supervisor.