In this role, you will play a key role in the Food and Land Use (FOLU) Coalition’s ambition to make the case for the urgent transformation of Ethiopia’s food and land use system. You will work closely with the FOLU Ethiopia program and the WRI Africa team to shape strategic messaging, work inclusively and collaboratively across the partnership, and make connections with internal and external stakeholders. You will be responsible to develop and implement FOLU Ethiopia’s media and communications strategy. In this role, you will be a key contributor to the design and implementation of the program’s engagement and communication effort and make sure that a sustainable food and land use system in Ethiopia will be the central focus of all the program and advocacy activities. In this role, you will make sure that all the engagement and communication strategies are attractive and effective in promoting a sustainable food and land use system in Ethiopia and contribute to the global agenda by producing and sharing success stories and case studies from Ethiopia. You will be a member of the FOLU team at WRI’s Africa office in Addis Ababa and work closely with FOLU colleagues in India, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
This position is a full-time, one year position with the possibility of extension and will be based at the WRI Africa office.
Engagement and Communication
- Provide strategic communications efforts across a range of target audiences to stimulate behavioral change and greater sustainability activities with key stakeholders and to disseminate lessons learned and key research findings with relevant communities of practice.
- Provide overall strategic management of program communications initiatives; prepare quarterly reports; and provide creative ideas for using communications tools to improve the effectiveness of FOLU project activities.
- Manage relationships with press and media, place editorials and experts’ quotes in national and local media (e.g., publications, websites), and raise the visibility and profile of the FOLU Coalition in Ethiopia on social media.
- Continuously refine and implement the FOLU multimedia and social media strategy, including video interviews and other means of communication (e.g., podcasts).
- Develop and execute creative ways to translate FOLU Ethiopia research and activities into compelling storylines with the help of videos, photos, infographics, and other means.
- Support and coordinate media and communication activities for the FOLU Coalition’s Action Agenda for a New Food and Land Use Economy in Ethiopia in close coordination with global and local FOLU partners.
- Contribute to the development of appropriately. branded communication products by closely working with multimedia artists, graphic designers, and consultants (e.g., briefs, brochures, posters, presentations), to promote a sustainable food and land use system in Ethiopia to partners and stakeholders.
- Disseminate communication materials (e.g., case study, success story, newsletter, brochure, documentary, social media post, publication) that promote a sustainable food and land use system in Ethiopia.
- Participate in the development and regular updating of FOLU web pages (e.g., generate new content, upload a range of public domain publications and multimedia products reflecting FOLU activities, summarize priorities for a sustainable food and land use system in Ethiopia).
- Liaise with different media for interviews and identify opportunities and pitch stories for case studies that have promoted sustainable food and land use systems.
- Liaise with communications colleagues in the global FOLU network, the blended finance task force, different food loss and waste platforms to keep aligned with system-wide communications and campaigns and exchange information on progress made to advance a sustainable food and land use system.
- Coordinate with FOLU staff to support the writing of case studies, speeches, briefings, presentations, and articles.
Project Management Support
- Provide proactive and efficient project support and coordination to all members of the FOLU team.
- Organize and coordinate meetings and events for the FOLU team.
- Arrange travel and accommodations for members of the team and project partners and stakeholders.
- Facilitate team planning and assessment meetings to assure sound integration and learnings across work streams.
- Manage the flow of information and communications including project reporting, communications materials, branding, and success stories, monitoring and evaluation, and budget execution.
- Undertake other reasonable tasks as directed by the FOLU country manager.