The Director of Events, West Coast is a senior member of Oceana’s fundraising team. The incumbent directs the Ocean Council and leads the fundraising efforts for Oceana’s annual SeaChange Summer Party and Los Angeles Rock Under the Stars event. Director of Events, West Coast also manages receptions in conjunction with Oceana’s Board of Directors meetings and several high-touch cultivation events, principally along the west coast, throughout the year.
The Director of Events, West Coast, supports the VP for Development and Senior Director of Global Events in a busy special events environment. The Director must be able to anticipate project needs, discern work priorities, meet deadlines with little supervision, and be willing to work occasional evenings and weekends. The Director of Events, West Coast should provide outstanding customer service and be an enthusiastic professional who wants to build working relationships internally and externally. As a member of an integrated team with a commitment to excellence, this position involves event leadership and management, donor and corporate cultivation and relationships, excellent in written and oral communications, and information and data management. This position reports to the Senior Director of Global Events and is based in the Washington, DC office.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The Director works closely with the VP for Development and the Senior Director, Global Events in leading efforts to increase revenue through fundraising events, cultivation events and high touch initiatives. The geographical area of focus is the west coast of the Unites States, and possible international events and support on the east coast. The position includes the coordination and leadership of events, meetings, programs, and other elements designed to cultivate prospects and donors as well as outreach and cultivation of corporate event sponsors.
Key responsibilities include planning and analyzing cost-effective events, setting revenue goals, forming working relationships with the goal of securing event sponsors and donors. The Director will coordinate and manage sponsors, contractors, vendors, employees and volunteers with assistance from the Senior Director, Events and other staff.
- Lead all aspects of Oceana’s annual SeaChange Summer Party including working with the Co-Chairs and Vice-Chair committee.
- Lead the execution and coordination of special events primarily on the west coast, including Board of Directors cultivation events, Fish School, high touch donor cocktail receptions, house parties and Ocean Council events.
- Manage the Ocean Council, including organizing events, membership, correspondence, and act as primary conduit.
- Monitor event timelines and production schedules to keep all activities on track and timely.
- Meet or exceed revenue goals for each event by selling tickets and tables, obtaining donations of auction items and cultivating corporate sponsorships.
- Prepare and track guest lists.
- Coordinate events with event planner and/or event vendors including online auction services vendors. Organize load-in and load-out schedules.
- Process contracts for legal review, review invoices and check requests.
- Manage auction spreadsheet and outreach to auction donors.
- Track expenses and revenue for each event.
- Evaluate event results and prepare recommendations for future events.
- Work with VP for Development and Senior Director of Events to cultivate event attendees.
- Manage post-event follow-up, i.e., sending gifts to Co-Chairs, committee members and photos to guests.
- Manage income reconciliation with the accounting department. Ensure timely collection of revenue.
- Input event and donor data into Salesforce and coordinate reports and lists with IT staff.
- Create Shutterfly Books for East Coast events.
- Research and analyze corporate and individual donors and prospects to develop strategies for giving.
- Coordinate the creation of all Save the Dates, Invitations, programs and mailings for each event; liaise with graphic artists and printers for all printed collateral and mail houses for mailings.
- Manage solicitation packages and materials for fundraising efforts.
- Manage the production all thank you, tax acknowledgement and auction donor letters.
- Oversee the creation and management of Oceana event websites, update information, keep current with donor information, images, etc.
- Lead weekly calls with PR, Marketing, Senior Leadership and Event chairs leading up to event.
Corporate Sponsorship Outreach
- Identify new sources of corporate funding and design creative strategies to secure new sponsorships.
- Create pitch decks and proposals for new and existing corporate partners.
- Lead and/or attend pitch meetings with corporate prospects.
- Negotiate corporate sponsorship agreements to ensure mutually beneficial partnerships.
- Steward relationships with corporate contacts to maintain and grow partnerships.
- Solicit auction items for the New York Gala and other fundraising events while coordinating with Corporate Sponsorship Consultant.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Support the VP, Development and Director of Development with benefits and cultivation events, primarily in the western region of the United States.