Oceana in Mexico seeks a Director of Finance and Administration based in Mexico City. The Director will report to Oceana, Inc’s Chief Financial Officer with a dotted line to the Vice President for Oceana in Mexico.
The Director is responsible for supporting Mexico’s campaign, organizational goals and staff while ensuring compliance with legal requirements and Oceana policies and procedures. The incumbent will be responsible for implementing and managing all operational activities, processes, and systems, S/he ensures that Oceana Mexico’s resources are properly utilized, in accordance with the organization’s policies and procedures and in strict conformity with Mexican regulations and the donor requirements. The Director is the main point of contact for Mexican employees on all human resources, financial, and administrative matters.
The Director must be dedicated to Oceana’s mission, understand its campaign goals, and actively support our success in achieving these goals. They will have strong command of financial principles and fluency with numbers, be familiar with Human Resources principles and have had demonstrated success in managing a similar office or unit.
The Director must respond to day-to-day requests both from the operations staff at Oceana’s headquarters (Finance, HR and IT), from the VP and staff in Mexico.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Finance and Accounting:
- Lead Oceana Mexico’s budget development in coordination with the country VP, Campaign directors and Headquarters. Ensure budget guidelines and thresholds are followed throughout the year.
- Monitor and report on budget against actual. Work closely with the Mexican team to propose corrective action when needed.
- Responsible for the effective performance of various accounting functions, including general ledger, accounts payable/receivable, payroll, bank reconciliations, audit, insurance and tax reports, and fixed assets.
- Ensure accurate and timely preparation of internal financial reports, submission of external reporting and the external audit.
- Supervise the work of the Accountant.
- Ensure that required statutory reporting obligations are met.
- Oversee and support all aspect of the HR function in Mexico (recruitment, hiring and onboarding of all new staff).
- Manage the compensation, payroll. and benefits programs for Mexico staff.
- Maintain accurate personnel data and files in accordance with Mexican regulations.
- Coordinate with Global HR team to advise staff and leadership on best practices.
- Oversee goal setting and performance management processes. Support, coach and provide HR assistance to staff. Support and advise the VP on personnel matters and conflict management.
- Assist the global IT department in the provision of local support.
General Management and Compliance:
- Communicate with staff and ensure compliance with Oceana’s Global Code of Ethics and other Oceana policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with local laws and regulations.
- Manage contracts and procurement of third-party products to ensure adequate protections for Oceana and compliance with internal and external policies and regulations.
- Manage the office in Mexico City, Mexico.
- Assist in preparing documents and financials for Oceana Mexico’s board meetings.