Land Degradation and Restoration

Search Library

Ecosystem restoration in Nepal: Needs and initiatives
Documents
Online database/library
2014
Abstract: 

Nepal, situated in the Central Himalaya, occupies a total area of 14,718,100 ha. About 86% of the total land area is covered by hills and high mountains, and the remaining 14% are the flat lands of the Terai. Despite the uniqueness and variety of ecosystems across the ecological regions; the ecosystems, are very fragile and prone to degradation both inherently and in response to anthropogenic activities. A product of young geological and adverse climatic conditions, excessive resource use and associated environmental degradation in the countri are responsible for the accelerated rate of natural disasters like soil erosion, land degradation and mass wasting, which in turn are making the ecosystems insubstantial. This review therefore aims to provide information on ecosystem restoration needs and initiatives in Nepal. With the existing natural and anthropogenic disturbances that are prevalent in the ecosystems of every ecological regions of Nepal, ecosystem restoration practices are of immediate need. Similarly, restoration approaches are of prime requisite in the protected areas also. Though started in project level basis and in conjunction with cross-cutting programs, ecosystem restoration interventions are in initial stage in Nepal. In this regard, future ecosystem restoration initiatives should be made successful with intensive efforts, appropriate technology and optimum inputs. It will be necessary to identify the areas requiring restoration, and plan for the implementation of appropriate activities for the successful restoration of degraded ecosystems in each ecological regions of Nepal.

Document language: 
English
Authors: 
Stah P D and Sapkota R P
Thematic area: 
Land Degradation and Restoration

See Related Resources

Resources

Organisations and Initiatives

The following organisations and initiatives are leaders in the field of Land Degradation and Restoration. They have provided content, experts, and more to BES-Net. To learn more about a particular organization and the work they are doing click below.

Search library

Search or browse through our library of existing resources on Land Degradation and Restoration. Entries include scientific articles, reports, policy briefs, webinars, videos, and more. To view a particular resource, click below.

Experts

These individuals are experts in the field of Land Degradation and Restoration. BES-Net experts come from a wide range of sectors, from community activists to research scientists. They are available to answer questions, respond to polls, and engage in conversation with BES-Net users on their area of expertise. To learn more about an expert and their work, or get in touch with them, click below.

Suggestions