WeForest is an international non-profit association headquartered in Belgium and with current projects in Brazil, Ethiopia, India, Tanzania, and Zambia. Its mission is to advance innovative, scalable and lasting solutions to restore forest and landscapes for the climate, the people and the planet.
The main role is to supervise and coordinate the implementation of the new WeForest project in near Tietê River in close cooperation with AES. The candidate will also be required to travel regularly to supervise other projects in São Paulo State and in the Amazon. As WeForest’s only focal person in Brazil for the time being, the position is expected to work in relative autonomy, with support from WeForest HQ.
Project Management and Coordination
1. Coordinate the delivery of existing projects according to agreed timelines and standards:
a. Conducting risks analysis for each project
b. Overseeing field activities: tree planting and maintenance without use of herbicide
c. Identification and mapping of the restoration sites
2. Review and approve administrative and financial documents from implementing partners and subcontractors prior to transmission to WeForest HQ: progress report, project costing /budget, contract, payment requests.
3. Engage local farmers (landowners) in forest restoration with support from the municipalities, agriculture unions and support them in meeting legal restoration requirements.
4. Explore and support the development and design of new potential in Brazil.
Research and Networking
5. Engage with universities to facilitate research on selected topics including on the interaction between tree seedlings and invasive grasses.
6. Facilitate environmental education with municipalities and other potential actors.
7. Report regularly on project progress, performance and provide communication materials (data, stories, pictures).