The Climate Intelligence Program focuses on making emissions visible and translating data into actionable insights and tools for those best positioned to reduce emissions. We collaborate with a global network of NGOs, academics, policymakers, financial institutions, and businesses to enable emissions reductions in some of the highest emitting industrial sectors. Our work focuses not only on quantifying the risks of climate inaction but also on identifying emerging opportunities to meet 1.5-degree climate targets.
As part of the Climate Intelligence Program, the Supply Chain Emissions initiative seeks to demystify carbon accounting practices and to develop insights that drive decarbonization. We are hiring a Principal to lead Horizon Zero, a multi-year, multi-million dollar project in the Supply Chain Emissions initiative of the Climate Intelligence Program.
The Principal will lead the delivery of Horizon Zero, a project with the goal of enabling a digital future for ESG attributes. In particular, starting from the creation of a digitally native GHG Protocol, based on distributed ledger technology and leveraging RMI’s learnings in the cryptocurrency space. The Principal will work closely with the initiative leader and program management , as well as other RMI internal teams on how to use digital ESG attributes to effectively create differentiated commodities (physical and financial) thereby creating a demand signal to decarbonize deep supply chains.
- Steer the Horizon Zero project by working closely with a group of project managers in a matrix organized by functions and sectors, to deliver a complex scope of work spanning the entire “pipeline” from emissions visibility all the way to the standardization and trading of differentiated commodities. The Principal will also oversee the key sectors of focus of Horizon Zero which are steel, nonferrous metals, cement, and oil & gas (including aviation fuels, LNG, petrochemicals), besides cryptocurrency which is the “sandbox” upon which the original solution is being built in the first phase of the project.
- Define a compelling strategy to accelerate the adoption of digital ESG and GHG accounting, together with fellow Principals and Managing Directors.
- Guide research teams and partner with our extensive external network of nonprofit and business collaborators to develop, pilot, and scale successful solutions to deliver Horizon Zero in the function areas and sectors covered.
- Collaborate with the marketing manager to shape and deliver a marketing strategy for Horizon Zero, coordinating teams to deliver objectives. Oversight of teams includes some “roll-up your sleeves” work in nearly all projects, driving thought-leadership and execution through charismatic example.
- Perform business development for the continuous growth of the project and of any side activities stemming from it over time, including liaising with RMI’s Development team to cultivate existing and new leads for philanthropic fundraising support, government grant management, and direct company fee-for-service project development.
- Be an internally and externally recognized expert and go-to person for issues relating to supply chain emissions, carbon accounting, and especially the covered sectors liaising with other RMI Programs covering aspects of the same – for example Buildings Program for steel and concrete, the Center for Climate-Aligned Finance as relates to financial products, or Mission Possible Partnership as relates to demand-side work in the covered industrial sectors.
- Develop and enhance RMI’s public reputation through regular publication, speaking, and external engagement on key topics critical to program success.
- Manage existing and proposed future program budgets.
- Support development of team members and of RMI at large, through active involvement in management activities such as coaching and serving as a career advisor to colleagues.
- Support Managing Directors in interactions with RMI board.