Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The Ecosystems Division at UNEP works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition. This post is located in the Ecosystems Division, at the Nairobi duty station. Under the direct supervision of the UN-REDD Team Leader and in close cooperation with the Director, Africa Office, the incumbent will perform the following functions:
1. Develops, implements and evaluates UNREDD programme/project development and implementation in Africa; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions.
2. Facilitates new programme development and expansion to new thematic and geographical areas in the Africa region.
3. Supports UN-REDD Knowledge Management activities in Africa in close coordination with the UN-REDD Communications and Knowledge Management Officer for Africa and broader team.
4. Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
5. Coordinates with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Food Agricultural Organization (FAO), and the UN-REDD Programme Secretariat on the planning and implementation of country level and regional activities.
6. Researches, analyses and presents information gathered from diverse sources as it affects the delivery of the Africa work programme.
7. Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, et cetera.
8. Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, et cetera.
9. Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, et cetera) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, et cetera).
10. Leads and/or participates in large, complex field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, et cetera.
11. Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
12. Performs other related duties as required.