The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
UNEP/Office for Asia and the Pacific helps to implement all UNEP's programmes and projects in the region by initiating, coordinating and catalyzing regional and sub-regional cooperation and action in response to environmental problems and emergencies. The focus of this position is the monitoring and analysis of UNEP’s Sub-programme/project development and implementation including through the Programme of Work and Medium Term Strategy as well as the development of in-house strategies for resource mobilization in coordination with the UNEP Resource Mobilization Section.
This position is based in UNEP, Asia and the Pacific Office in Bangkok, Thailand.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director and the direct supervision of the Regional Deputy Director, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Develops, implements and evaluates assigned projects of Asia and the Pacific office; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions.
- Designs project proposals for earmarked funding to UNEP in the region of Asia and the Pacific.
- Prepares strategies for member state funding partners, and follow-up actions;
- Develops systems and tools for in-house collaboration for resource mobilization with focus on member states; supports the research and preparation of reports, analytical briefings and profiles on funding partners including their policies, trends and potential support to UNEP.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources
- Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies,
- Generates survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identify problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, including for programmes progress analysis, country briefs and background papers for UNEP senior management.
- Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Performs other duties as required.