Type of offer:
Under the general guidance of the Secretary General and the supervision of the Chief of Outreach and Projects Unit, the Programme Management Officer is responsible for the development and management of assigned programmes and projects in support of the work of the Secretariat, particularly in the area of trade facilitation and traceability, and to assist the Parties in the implementation of the Convention.
Within delegated authority, the Programme Management Officer will undertake the following duties:
- Act as the technical focal point in the Secretariat on trade facilitation, traceability and electronic business processing:
- Monitor latest developments regarding international trade in general, and in particular topics related to trade facilitation, traceability, and electronic business standards and related technologies and identifies issues of relevance to CITES.
- Assist in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends in support of the automation of CITES permit and certificate management, including the electronic exchange of permit information and electronic national reporting.
- Design, develop and implement standards, studies, tools and projects to provide capacity-building support to developing country Parties in the implementation of electronic permit management.
- Cooperate with governments, UN agencies, IGOs, experts and other potential partners to exchange information and undertake joint activities in the implementation of electronic permit management.
- Assist in the management of projects and programmes of the Secretariat:
- Participate in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation at all stages, including the analysis of implementation difficulties and initiating remedial action.
- Review, prepare and provide inputs to relevant documents and reports.
- Liaise with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Coordinate activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, legal instruments, contracts, progress reports, financial statements) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, progress reports).
- Provide Secretariat support to CITES Parties and governing bodies:
- Prepare various written outputs, e.g. draft working documents of CITES governing bodies, analyses, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, speaking notes.
- Provide substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc. in the area of trade facilitation, traceability and electronic business processing, to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations.
- Participate in or lead technical missions, including provision of capacity support to government officials, partners and other parties and drafting mission summaries.
- Provide logistical and other types of support in the running of the meetings of CITES governing bodies.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
United Nations Environment Programme
Friday, June 11, 2021