The Senior Director, Global Events is a senior member of Oceana’s fundraising team. The Senior Director manages a portfolio of event donors and prospects, and leads the fundraising efforts for the event team, including Oceana’s annual SeaChange Summer Party, Los Angeles Event, the New York Gala and all other events domestically and internationally. The Senior Director also oversees receptions in conjunction with Oceana’s Board of Directors meetings and several high-touch cultivation events throughout the year. The incumbent manages the Director of West Coast Events, Manager Donor Relations & Events, and Events Development Associate who assist on all development initiatives and events. This position reports to the Vice President of Global Development and is based in the Washington, DC office.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and implement all aspects of Oceana’s New York Gala and provide leadership and assist with implementation of the SeaChange Summer Party, the Los Angeles Event as well as high-touch donor events.
- Oversee or manage annual receptions in conjunction with Oceana’s Board of Directors meetings.
- Coordinate the fundraising efforts of the SeaChange Summer Party, Los Angeles Event, and New York Gala. Work with the Vice President of Global Development, Senior Vice President for Marketing and Communications, Chief Executive Officer, and President to identify, cultivate and solicit event leadership, donors, and/or corporate sponsors.
In support of these events the Senior Director will:
- Foster working partnerships with and serve as the main contact for benefit Co-Chairs and volunteer committee members.
- Coordinate all event production and other aspects of events, including soliciting and acquiring items for auctions and gift bags.
- Develop and maintain benefit event budgets, including forecasting event revenue and expenses; ensuring the timely collection of pledged gifts for fundraising events; regularly update the Vice President of Global Development, President, Chief Financial Officer, and Chief Executive Officer on yearly comparisons.
- Oversee the drafting or draft all event-related correspondence, including solicitation letters, invitation and program text, acknowledgements, and other correspondence.
- Collaborate with Oceana’s Marketing and Communications team on all press releases and related media for public events as well as Audio Visual Program and speaker talking points.
- Oversee all event printing and solicitation materials, works with in-house and outside design professionals to develop electronic and printed materials for Save the Date, invitations, programs, websites and other marketing and promotional items.
- Oversee the use of data related to events and manage the Development Associate in the following activities: pulling mailing lists; registering attendees; processing payments; issuing gift acknowledgment letters; and maintaining records in accordance with Oceana’s protocols and procedures.