The Senior Policy Advisor, Natural Climate Solutions furthers the work of The Nature Conservancy and its conservation partners through direct interaction with governments, multilateral agencies, and/or businesses focusing on developing and analyzing policy, practice, and funding initiatives that reduce emissions and increase carbon sequestration in natural and working lands. S/he identifies policy and funding opportunities to advance natural climate solutions, evaluates the potential for strategic partnerships, and develops and implements strategies to influence public policy and public funding S/he works closely with counterparts across TNC, including global strategy teams, the natural climate solutions strategy director, the climate action in the U.S. team, and with counterparts working on agriculture, forest, coastal and ocean policies, to provide and extract useful lessons and experience, identify shared policy priorities, and advance coalition efforts and advocacy strategies.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- May supervise administrative and/or professional staff with responsibility for performance management, training and development.
- Financial responsibility may include working within/managing a budget to complete projects, negotiating and contracting with vendors, assisting with budget development, and meeting fundraising targets.
- Responsible for meeting departmental strategic goals and objectives.
- Communicates professionally with a wide variety of people from different cultures.
- Prepares and presents project proposals and negotiates with federal, bilateral and multilateral agencies and/or the business and corporate sector, to achieve program goals.
- Accountable to persuasively convey the mission of The Nature Conservancy to diverse groups including key legislators, government officials and others who are critical to the Conservancy’s overall public funding strategies.
- Works in partnership with other organizations in a collaborative and consultative or advisory capacity.
- Works collaboratively across The Nature Conservancy to ensure relevant experts are engaged in development and implementation of policy strategies.
- Ensures program compliance with internal policies and external requirements.
- Ensures that the program complies with federal lobbying laws and regulations.
- Develops and implements multi-year fundraising strategies, and goals.
- Effectively directs and or participates in complex negotiations.
- Develops constructive and effective working relationships inside and outside the Conservancy.