The Associate Director oversees the implementation of the Sierra Club Outdoors for All campaign, and provides experienced operational leadership to campaign staff and volunteers. Manages and monitors expenses, assigns priorities, develops work plans in collaboration with campaigns, communications, digital strategies, organizing, outings and other key internal stakeholders and external partners. Leads collaborative efforts across all elements of the Sierra Club to expand the campaign’s impact by supporting staff, volunteers and partners, and building power at the national, state, local and grassroots levels, to achieve the campaign’s desired results. Builds out and implements a Chapter engagement strategy to harness the power of the Sierra Club to support a powerful outdoors for all movement. Evaluates the success of the Sierra Club Outdoors for All campaign. Evaluates changing conditions and modifies plans accordingly. Acts as a trusted advisor to staff colleagues and volunteers. Develops and advances special projects as needed. The Associate Director represents the Sierra Club Outdoors for All campaign as a spokesperson.
Job activities include but are not limited to:
- Applies Equity, Inclusion and Justice (Equity) and anti-oppression values to all initiative activities, including ensuring all staff and lead volunteers in the campaign are supporting Sierra Club’s Multi-Year Equity Plan, including operationalizing the Jemez Principles for Democratic Organizing throughout campaign activities. Ensures team members are working to actively pivot away from white supremacist culture and behaviour and towards racial equity at the individual and interpersonal levels. Ensures that external campaign outcomes demonstrate a commitment to justice and equity.
- Helps oversee the campaign’s four projects: Military Outdoors, Outdoors Alliance for Kids, Nearby Nature, and Inspiring Connections Outdoors to ensure programmatic alignment with the overarching Sierra Club Outdoors for All goals and objectives. Maintains flexibility to be able to provide senior level support where needed across these and local projects.
- Ensures effective coordination between campaigns, programs, and capacities such as: Our Wild America, Outdoor Activities, Advancement, Communications, Digital Strategies, Organizing, Federal Policy, Political Program, Sierra Student Coalition, Equity, Justice, and Inclusion, Environmental Justice, Chapters and Volunteer Networks to ensure successful delivery of collective outcomes, including building a stronger and more diverse outdoor movement.
- Collaborates with the Chapter Support Team and individual Chapters and Groups to help strengthen and expand the campaign’s chapter and volunteer network. Supports and provides senior level professional expertise to chapter staff and volunteers leading local work in support of outdoor access and equity.
- Collaborates with outdoor programs across the Sierra Club to support the implementation of the Outdoors for All Theory of Change.
- Collaborates with Organizing, Outdoor Activities, Communications and Digital Strategies to provide strategic direction and support for matrixed staff assigned to the initiative.
- Collaborates with Communications and Digital Strategies to build out and keep content fresh for Outdoors for All campaign website, newsletters, blogs and social media venues; and leverages opportunities to use earned media to elevate the work of staff and volunteers across the country to improve lives through increased access to the outdoors.
- Supports and assists the Director in leading the campaign’s internal communications plan, informing and engaging Sierra Club staff, boards, and volunteers.
- Provides guidance and oversight to direct reports:
- Assigns work, establishes clear performance standards and work priorities;
- Ensures staff receive the necessary professional training and support to successfully carry out their jobs;
- Provides ongoing performance feedback, prepares and conducts formal performance planning and evaluation;
- Makes recommendations regarding salary, hiring, and promotion decisions.
- Oversees campaign reporting and ensures opportunities for elevating the campaign across the Sierra Club are highlighted.
- Assist Director in effectively managing the overall program budget. Manages and monitors campaign revenue and expenses. Consults with the Director to reallocate across campaign budgets. Regularly update Sierra Club Foundation proposal budgets.
- Advances special projects and miscellaneous duties.
- Travels as needed (when safe to do so).