The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s Ecosystem Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition. This position is located within the Coordinating Unit for the Mediterranean Action Plan (MAP) at the Secretariat to the Barcelona Convention and its Protocols in Athens, Greece. This post is located in UNEP/MAP (Barcelona Convention) at the Athens duty station.
Within delegated authority, the Associate Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Supports the execution, management, monitoring and evaluation of the Marine Litter MED II project.
- Works with Contracting Parties, Partners and UNEP/MAP Components to facilitate the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; monitors and analyzes specific aspects of programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and recommends corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Carries out basic research on selected aspects of programmes, operations and other activities to include collecting, analyzing and presenting statistical data and other information gathered from diverse sources.
- Provides substantive support for policy coordination and evaluation functions, including the review and analysis of emerging development issues and trends, participates in impact evaluation or equivalent studies.
- Assists in performing consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning and facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions, and assists in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
- Participates in survey/pilot initiatives; issues data collection tools, reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares preliminary conclusions.
- Contributes to the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports, studies and inputs to publications.
- Provides administrative and substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying and proposed participants, preparation of background documents and presentations and handling logistics.
- Undertakes outreach activities; participates in the development of training workshops, seminars, regional and best practices meetings, etc.; participates in and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Participates in field missions, including provision of substantive and administrative support, training and data collection.
- Supports activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget)
- Performs other duties as required.