IPBES social media and other online platforms updated on time with the relevant, accurate, appropriate and engaging multilingual messaging and content.
Significant growth in the IPBES social media follower/fan base among French- and Spanish- speaking audiences and engagement rate per platform.
May be based remotely until COVID-19 travel restrictions are eased. Thereafter must be based for the remainder of the contract duration at the IPBES Secretariat offices in Bonn, Germany.
11 months work over the period of 12 months from 1 May 2021 to 30 April 2022
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
Established in April 2012, the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) has a membership of over 130 Governments (see www.ipbes.net) and seeks to respond to the needs of governments and other stakeholders to strengthen the science-policy interface on biodiversity and ecosystem services.
Under the overall supervision of the IPBES Head of Communications, the Consultant will:
Produce, translate and adapt creative content for social and online media in French, Spanish and English
• Further develop and implement strategies for growth and engagement across IPBES social media channels in French and Spanish, informed by and aligning with the IPBES Social Media Strategy;
• Write and manage the translations of high quality multilingual digital content from English into French and Spanish for social media;
• Support the implementation of the updated IPBES Social Media Strategy by researching, drafting, translating, adapting and scheduling social media posts in French and Spanish (drafts to be approved by management) as needed for Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube and other relevant social media platforms;
• Support the Communications team in planning and implementing thematic mini-campaigns across the IPBES social media and other online platforms, specifically targeted to IPBES’ French- and Spanish- speaking audiences;
• Include mentions, tagging, photos, video, audio & graphics in relevant social media posts;
• Schedule postings as part of an established workflow using the scheduling tools available to IPBES to maximize reach and impact according to specific algorithms of each social media platform and in accordance with approved demographic targeting strategies;
• Translate various materials, such as brochures, subtitles and infographics, from English into French and Spanish.
Monitoring of IPBES social and online media performance
• Monitor IPBES user/fan/follower behaviour on social media across dedicated IPBES multilingual as well as main social media accounts and other online platforms;
• Provide regular reports to internal audiences on performance of IPBES social media activities related to French and Spanish audiences.
Strengthen follower/fan base and engagement with IPBES social media
• Develop and maintain collaboration with the French and Spanish social media channels of existing and new IPBES partners, allies and stakeholders;
• Significantly increase IPBES social media users/fans/followers among French and Spanish speaking audiences, in accordance with the IPBES Social Media Strategy;
• Significantly increase engagement rates with IPBES social media posts as well as reach and engage with new target audiences, in accordance with the IPBES Social Media Strategy;
• Prepare relevant responses to messages from followers in French and Spanish across all IPBES social media platforms and craft direct messages for social media and other online outreach in these languages.
UN competencies most relevant for this consultancy opportunity:
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and experience of digital communications, as well as up-to-date knowledge of social media platforms, trends & functions is required. Familiarity with graphic design and basic video editing skills is desirable. Knowledge of IPBES, biodiversity and environment-related matters is desirable. Good organizational and personal management skills, with ability to prioritize work issues to meet deadlines with minimal supervision and adjust to changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of the subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
CREATIVITY: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services. Offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs. Promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas. Takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box.” Takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things. Is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
TECHNOLOGICAL AWARENESS: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
University degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communication, journalism, media/language/environmental studies or related field. A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience will be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Minimum four years work experience: two years experience in operational social media roles and two years experience in communications / journalism, including in environmental issues, particularly in French and Spanish.
Experience working for an international organization is desirable.
Language: Fluency in oral and written English, French and Spanish is required.
A consultancy contract resulting form this job opening would be issued under UN assignment level B. This level is typically used for projects of moderate complexity with either broad scope or limited depth or restricted scope and considerable depth that have an impact on the performance of systems, processes and team(s) within the Organization.
Candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter in French or Spanish if the PHP is submitted in English or a cover letter in Spanish or English, if the PHP’s language is French.