The Senior Analyst brings experience in overseeing and conducting technical analysis of marine policy issues, campaign-based advocacy, partnership-building with external organizations, grants and contract management, and project management. They will apply their real-world experience in international fisheries and/or marine conservation policy to and the majority of their duties and responsibilities will be tied to the Transparent Oceans Initiative (TOI), whose mandate is to catalyze policy reform by exposing the scale, activities, and impact of distant-water fishing fleets.
Reporting to the Science & Strategy team’s Senior Advisor, the Senior Analyst works both independently and as part of a team to develop and carry out research projects and associated outreach activities, engaging with key Oceana country offices, global experts and academics, government officials, and international partners and collaborators. The position requires flexibility to work in varied time zones and is based in Washington, D.C. Regular international travel is anticipated. This is a full-time, exempt position.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the development and execution of TOI reports including identifying research topics, developing hypotheses or terms of reference, and managing the research (whether internal or externally conducted)
- Contribute to the development and execution of TOI outreach and engagement strategies, including coordination with external and internal colleagues
- Develop, engage, maintain, and expand a network of key stakeholders, decision makers, and allies relevant to TOI and other Science & Strategy objectives
- Represent TOI as an expert in relevant international and national political fora and as an Oceana spokesperson with relevant media
- Maintain subject matter expertise in the areas of international fisheries, maritime domain awareness, global seafood trade and food security connections, and international affairs as relevant to TOI, as well as staying abreast of the latest related news in technology, science and policy, and advise the Chief Scientist and Senior Advisor on key developments
- Manage key contracts and subgrants for TOI research and communications products/deliverables
- Contribute to the development of TOI proposals for donors in coordination with the Senior Advisor and the Development team
- Generally, support Oceana’s Science & Strategy team in the achievement of department goals