The Associate Director will supervise the Evaluation Analyst who is responsible for developing data visualizations for ad-hoc data requests; develop reports, KPIs, and advanced SQL queries while making sure data results meets client requirements. The Associate Director will work closely with the Senior Director of Development – Operations, Research & Evaluation in continuously developing and advancing an Evaluation program for the department as well as incorporating data “story-telling” for the organization. The Associate Director will also work independently to collect analysis and reporting requirements, develop project schedules, and deliver Evaluation products to staff. The Associate Director will engage with department Senior Directors and Directors as well as other organizational teams and stakeholders in delivering analytic solutions. The Associate Director oversees data mining, trend/predictive analysis, and statistical analysis functions leading to decisions about support capabilities. The Associate Director of Development Evaluation reports to the Senior Director of Development – Operations, Research & Evaluation.
This position can be remote or based in one of the following offices based on office space availability. The following Earthjustice office locations and candidates within proximity to these offices will be considered: San Francisco, CA, Los Angeles, CA, Seattle, WA, Chicago, IL, Denver, CO, Bozeman, MT, Philadelphia, PA, New York, NY, Washington, D.C., New Orleans, LA, Tallahassee or Miami, FL. Beginning April 27, 2022, Earthjustice staff will be working two days a week in the office. Earthjustice is transitioning to a hybrid model of working and we are currently determining office space and occupancy models. Remote applicants based in the U.S. will also be considered.
- Ensure that Development Evaluation operations are efficient, effective, and consistent with industry best practices.
- Manage the Development Evaluation Analyst, responsible for developing reporting, scorecards, and key performance indicators (KPI)s for the department, executive leadership, campaign, and board of directors.
- Manage external vendors and develop relationships with account managers of software vendors.
- Project Manage Evaluation projects including those around standardized reporting as well as ad hoc special projects, financial forecasting, and statistical analysis.
- Establish procedures and training to ensure that all daily, weekly, monthly, etc. reports, KPIs, visualizations, and data sets are up-to-date and accurate.
- Serve on the Development Operations, Research & Evaluation leadership team for collaboration and coaching on management strategy.
- Liaise with Information Technology staff to ensure that data sets are up-to-date, backups are successful and business intelligence and data analysis software is up to date.
- Stay up-to-date with best practices and industry tools and measures to quantify success and make decisions on course correction.
- Recruit and hire qualified candidates who fit position requirements and the work environment.
- Promote change in terms of the expected benefits, as well as removing or lowering the impact of potential obstacles.
- Set clear team direction that aligns with Earthjustice strategy, mission, and vision.
- Develop staff by identifying and encouraging training and professional development opportunities appropriate to role and creating development plans for all staff.
- Provide staff with consistent performance feedback — both positive and constructive — and act as a coach and mentor.
- Create a learning culture, by encouraging debriefing after completion of significant stages of projects.
- Ensure that any direct reports who have supervisory responsibility are properly executing those functions.
- Create a respectful and inclusive work environment for team and model respectful and inclusive behavior.
- Promptly address micro-aggressions and other concerns brought to their attention.
- Resolve interpersonal conflict among team members and bring in outside facilitators as needed.
- Communicate regularly with existing employees and encourage staff to raise concerns and to provide ongoing feedback.
- Create or identify strategic opportunities for team building and individual and overall staff engagement with one another in order to strengthen teamwork, interaction and collaboration.
- Value and use individual differences and talents to improve employee satisfaction and the quality of collective work.
- Celebrate successes and help team members to understand and manage setbacks.
Reporting & Evaluation (50%)
- Design and develop scorecards, reports, and KPIs using Tableau and other data visualization and business intelligence tools as needed, for various departmental and organizational metrics.
- Create new reports and modify existing reports utilizing SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) and SQL Report Builder while employing best practices as needed.
- Perform statistical analysis, build predictive models, and formulate decision models that relate operational activities to results; to drive value stream enhancement and continuous improvement.
- Interpret and evaluate reporting results and summarize for leadership teams what activity is impacting results.
- Elicit business requirements using business analysis, interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, use cases, tasks, and workflow analysis.
- Use the gathered requirements to develop logic for reporting or analytics.
- Develop manual/automated reporting programs using data from in-house and hosted data repositories and warehouses.
- Develop standard data visualization reports.
Data Management (20%)
- Instill data quality in all solutions delivered.
- Create unique and reusable complex data sets for Evaluation using Transact SQL in conjunction with the Development Operations Data team.
- Engage with Director of Development Operations to develop team strategy for existing solutions to new methodology and technology on an as needed basis.
- Work closely with the Development Database Administrator and IT to manage process of data mapping, testing, accessibility, data set refresh processes etc.
- Maintain close alignment with all key stakeholders to ensure requirements are being met.
- Other duties as assigned.