Conservation International-Mexico is seeking a uniquely qualified and highly motivated individual to serve as the Chief of Party for an innovative and exciting USAID-funded project in Mexico, the Sustainable Landscapes Ventures (SLV). The position will be based in Mexico City and will lead the way of this collaborative effort as a catalyzer of change and innovation in four landscapes.
The Chief of Party will steer the execution of the project, effectively translating the project goals into a shared vision for consortium partners and landscape stakeholders. They will build collaboration and consensus between consortium partners (ENDESU, Mexico2, and SVX) and will lead effective governance mechanisms to reach the Activity goals.
The purpose of the SLV Activity is to develop sustainable and inclusive value chains at scale in four landscapes (Campeche, Chiapas, Jalisco, and Oaxaca). The Activity aims to consolidate long-term partnerships among small producers, investors, and buyers in sustainable and inclusive value chains to avoid deforestation. Small producers will be organized into Collective Business Entities (CBE) to reduce costs, improve market access, increase profit margins, increase quality and reach scale. A Blended Finance Engine (BFE) will be established as a coordination mechanism to provide services to the CBEs including a marketplace to link producers with buyers, project curation, and access to blended finance from new and existing funds. The Chief of Party will play a key role in launching two new funds spearheaded by Mexico2 and Conservation International Ventures; in designing the monitoring, evaluation, and learning system; and embedding social and environmental safeguards throughout the Activity, with a particular emphasis on gender equity.
The successful candidate will supervise the administrative and technical teams and will lead the day-to-day project management. Their tasks will include the design of the governance bodies, CBEs, and the BFE, with social and environmental standards. A strong understanding of small producers, value chains, markets/buyers, and financing is required.
- Leads innovation to build scale, access to markets, and blended finance for CBEs in the landscapes.
- Spearheads inclusion and sustainability throughout the Activity.
- Leads the coordination of the Blended Finance Engine design, operation, and Steering Committee.
- Manages the day-to-day relationship with the consortium partners.
- Designs annual work plans with the other ongoing landscape projects that the SLV Activity will support (GEF6 Sustainable Landscape, Mascota Biocultural Landscape, Tapalpa Sustainable, and Calakmul).
- Bring responsible buyers to the Marketplace.
- Cultivates new investors to join the Blended Finance Engine.
- Develops collaborative agreements with government institutions.
- Spearhead the long-term vision of the CB Es and BFE to provide long-term sustainability.
- Work to guarantee that the CBEs and BFE design, rules, and regulations, have an inclusive approach for gender equity, female empowerment, and youth inclusion, and that this is mainstream throughout the Activity.
- Lead and manage the Activity/project team – providing strategic direction, vision, coordination, resource management, and supervision required to accomplish strategic goals and objectives and to deliver superior quality products.
- Direct the preparation of the annual work plans, budgets, and annual progress reports, submitting timely, accurate, and professional reports that meet donor requirements.
- Direct and oversees grant implementation, ensuring that all strategic objectives are met through proper design, staffing, implementation, and quality assurance.
- Establish and maintains effective project reporting, evaluation, and communication systems.
- Oversee the completion of all technical requirements, including project results and deliverables, developing solutions to keep deliverables on track and motivate staff and partners.
- Guarantee the efficient and effective use of the resources to reach the desired results of the project, monitoring the work plans, budgets, and finances, in accordance with the procedures of USAID.
- Provide leadership for all Activity safeguards requirements and plans to be successfully completed and implemented.
- This position, directly and indirectly, supervises project staff and consultants.
- Oversees project staff and builds local and institutional capacity, including managing and mentoring.
- This position manages a significant public funding project and budget.
- This position must ensure strict compliance with the donor and award regulations of the public funding source, managing all donor agreements, reporting, and communications.