The Investment Manager is a core member of TNC’s investment team and supports the management of TNC’s investment assets. The Investment team, under the leadership of TNC’s Chief Investment Officer, works on all aspects of the management and monitoring of the Long-Term Portfolio (LTP) and other pools of capital (e.g. planned giving investments, Panama Trust and retirement program, all in excess of $3B).
The Investment Manager plays an integral role by significantly expanding TNC’s investment diligence and analysis capabilities, while also managing the office’s portfolio analytics processes. Alongside the Directors of Investments, the Investment Manager will conduct due diligence on existing and prospective managers, research investment trends/themes, write detailed investment recommendations, assist in asset allocation, and take an active role in all aspects of the investment team decision-making process. The Investment Manager will directly support TNC’s Chief Investment Officer by overseeing data flow and analysis within TNC’s portfolio analytics/performance reporting systems. In conjunction with the Director of Investment Administration, the Investment Manager will produce monthly flash performance reports on behalf of the office. This role also involves interaction with other Conservancy departments and external entities including the Endowment’s investment managers, consultants, administrators, legal advisors, custodian bank, and other service providers.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Actively contribute to investment team decision-making process and drive team thinking in manager selection, portfolio construction, asset allocation, and overall strategy.
- Source and evaluate new investment opportunities based on risk/return, manager caliber, organizational structure, and portfolio fit.
- Support the Directors of Investments in portfolio monitoring, manager evaluation, and investment research.
- Monitor TNC’s investment portfolio and rigorously examine the drivers of investment performance.
- Communicate team thinking on complex financial topics through written investment reports/recommendations and verbal presentations.
- Represent TNC externally at manager meetings, investment conferences, and industry events.
- Manage data flow and output from investment analytics platforms such as Venn, S&P Capital IQ, and Backstop.
- Monitor market and portfolio performance using S&P Market Intelligence.
- Support the office’s impact investing efforts by managing portfolio integration with S&P TruCost, setting impact/ESG policy, and conducting research on relevant managers.
- Perform monthly reconciliation of transactions, valuations and investment returns with investment managers, custodian bank, and portfolio management systems/Backstop Solutions, resolving discrepancies as needed.
- Produce monthly “flash” performance report for distribution across endowment team, TNC finance committee, and TNC accounting department.
- Support TNC’s Chief Investment Officer in developing capital market assumptions and setting asset allocation targets.
- Work closely with external consultants across relevant areas including manager diligence, ESG/impact policy, performance reporting, and portfolio analytics.
- Manage documentation and oversight of external manager terms (fees, liquidity, etc.)
- Process and record cash flow transactions including capital calls, distributions, contributions, redemptions, management fee and other cash flow activities. Process wires and appropriate documentation.
- Support the Chief Investment Officer, Director of Investments, and Director of Investment Administration in performing other duties.