The Alliance Climate Action team is looking for a motivated and high performing Agricultural and Climate Data Scientist to support the delivery of climate resilient food systems and climate data science outputs to public and private actors. The incumbent will be able to develop innovative and high-quality analytical solutions to help understand climate impacts and adaptation options, inform investments in sustainable agriculture and land use, and support the implementation of climate services for agriculture. We consider the Alliance and the CGIAR work on climate resilience and data science as strategic to contribute to reducing climate risk, reducing poverty, improving food and nutrition security, and scaling sustainable agriculture and land use. As a result of the diverse nature of our work, this role will have the opportunity to work within a multicultural and multidisciplinary team, distributed across the world in many countries in Latin America, Africa, and Asia. The team covers a wide range of topics including climate and crop modelling, geographic information science, social science, economics and finance, agronomy, environmental science amongst others. We work with a wide range of global, regional, national and local partners to implement project which build the capacities of countries and farming communities to respond to climate variability and climate change.
- Implementation of project activities on agricultural climate services, food system resilience, climate risk profiling, and climate impacts and adaptation.
- Use analytical skills to lead and support the implementation of agroclimatic information services, seasonal forecasts, data- and model-based climate impact and adaptation assessments in the areas (countries, regions) of interest to the Alliance and its partners. Automate analytical routines and contribute to capacity development of project partners.
- Lead and contribute to the writing of high-quality peer-reviewed publications and project reports.
- Work closely with project partners and other teams in the Alliance to design and perform data analysis for agroclimatic advisory design and deployment, climate risk assessment, through the operationalization of innovative methodologies that take consideration of partners’ and local stakeholder needs.
- Stay up to date with the most recent literature on climate impacts, adaptation, and climate risk assessment.
- Contribute to project proposal writing and bilateral fundraising
- Other tasks as assigned as relevant to expertise and ongoing or future projects.