The Associate Attorney position is a three-year position, with the potential for an extension, designed to help attorneys who are in the early stages of their careers to develop into thoughtful, professional, and effective advocates skilled in the various phases of public interest litigation. As Associate Attorneys gain experience, they gradually take on more independent responsibility for their cases. For this position, the Associate Attorney will report directly to the Deputy Managing Attorney, but work throughout their tenure under the supervision of other attorneys within the clean energy program. Many Associates have gone on to other positions within Earthjustice and with other public interest organizations.
Earthjustice has temporarily transitioned staff to remote work during the COVID-19 pandemic. Staff are currently working two days a week in the office under a hybrid work plan, which will be reevaluated and adjusted on an ongoing basis. We will conduct all interviews for this position via phone and videoconferencing.
The level of duties and responsibilities for an Associate Attorney will vary depending on experience. However, among other responsibilities, the Associate should be able to:
- Work closely with other program staff and clients to investigate, develop, and litigate cases.
- Conduct legal and factual research and preparing memoranda on issues related to ongoing or potential new cases.
- Review and analyze administrative records and technical documents.
- Draft motions, briefs, and other legal and factual documents in support of litigation.
- Participate in proceedings before federal and international courts and tribunals.
- Work with partner organizations, clients, and experts from a wide range of cultural, linguistic, and legal backgrounds.
- Integrate communications and legislative advocacy into litigation and other legal strategies.
- Participate in the hiring process and supervise law students who work at Earthjustice as interns or clerks.
- Support efforts to ensure a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.