Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
Conservation International is looking for an Associate General Counsel (Asia Pacific Region) (“AGC”) to work within CI’s Office of the General Counsel to manage the legal affairs of CI’s Asia Pacific programs. The Office of General Counsel consists of a small global team of legal, risk management/compliance, internal audit, and security professionals who work closely together to further CI’s mission and manage legal and regulatory risks for the organization. The AGC will manage and support CI’s international legal operations, including corporate registrations, affiliate governance, employment issues, contracting, grantmaking, compliance and risk management, and general legal program support in the Asia Pacific region. The AGC will also provide complex transactional support to programs in the region and will resolve legal issues, provide expert advice, and counsel staff on a range of issues affecting nonprofit organizations.
The AGC position may be based in the following cities depending on CI’s needs and candidate’s experience and qualifications: Singapore, Jakarta. It is anticipated that the AGC will report to the CI General Counsel. The AGC also will have a dotted line reporting to the Senior Vice President, Asia Pacific Region, and direct client engagement with other members of the regional leadership team.
- Manage legal risk for assigned field-based programs in the Asia Pacific. Responsibilities for other program needs may be assigned depending on CI’s needs and the AGC’s experience and interest.
- Advise and counsel staff and leadership on issues relating to programs and relevant country law.
- Resolve legal issues while complying with operational policies and exempt organizations law, and provide actionable support to programs.
- Review legal matters and documents from the region, and provide overall legal advice to ensure efficient operations.
- Review employment contract template of all programs in the region on a regular basis.
- Provide expert legal transactional support to regional, country programs, and headquarters-based departments and programs.
- Advise on matters of institutional risk, draft and review documents, advise on applicable legal and regulatory requirements, resolve conflicts of interest and disputes, and provide overall legal advice.
- Manage annual compliance filings for Asia Pacific programs as required.
- Select with programmatic input, strategically consult with and effectively manage outside counsel relationships in the region and in close coordination with relevant field operations.
- Coordinate with legal personnel at peer organizations regarding best practices and developing legal/compliance trends. Work as part of department teams on specialized legal initiatives designed to enhance CI governance of its international programs and to manage legal and regulatory risk.
- Assist in developing and presenting training on legal and compliance issues.
- Review and sign-off incoming grant/contract agreements from funders.
- Engage and oversee outside counsel, and develop pro bono counsel relationships.
- Other duties as assigned by the General Counsel and as requested by the regional leadership team.
- The AGC position may be based in the following cities depending on CI’s needs and candidate’s experience and qualifications: Singapore or Jakarta.