The objective of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) is to combat desertification and mitigate the effects of drought in countries experiencing serious drought and/or desertification around the world, , through effective action at all levels, supported by international cooperation and partnership arrangements, in the framework of an integrated approach which is consistent with the Sustainable Development Goals from Agenda 2030, with a view to contributing to the achievement of sustainable development in affected areas.
The functions of the secretariat are, among others, (a) to make arrangements for sessions of the Conference of the Parties (COP) and its Subsidiary Bodies established under the Convention and to provide them with services as required; (b) to compile and transmit reports submitted to it; (c) to facilitate assistance to affected developing country Parties, on request, particularly those in Africa, in the compilation and communication of information required under the Convention; (d) to coordinate its activities with the secretariats of other relevant international bodies and conventions.
The mission of the External Relations, Policy and Advocacy (ERPA) unit is to position the UNCCD as a credible and trusted partner in finding solutions to desertification, land degradation and drought (DLDD). To achieve this goal, the unit communicates relevant and persuasive policy messages, promotes the brand and overall reputation of the institution, bridges the science-policy interface, and builds partnerships that expand the UNCCD’s reach with key stakeholders such as civil society, the media and the private sector.
Under the supervision of the Chief, Unit for External Relations, Policy and Advocacy (ERPA), the Associate Programme Officer will support the donor relations and resource mobilization tasks of the UNCCD secretariat by:
• Coordinate and monitor within the Unit the timely review of interim and/or final narrative reports to donors. This will include substantive and editorial review of reports and drafting of correspondence for submission to UNCCD donor counterparts, including ensuring adherence to project proposals and signed agreements, as well as institutional reporting requirements of UNCCD and/or the donor.
• Carry out basic research on selected programme operation and activities to include compiling, analyzing, summarizing, and presenting information on donor policies, trends and preferences, including recommending opportunities with the private sector to support the UNCCD Resource mobilization efforts;
• Development of proposals to donors and support to project development, drawing upon the expertise in different units;
• Organizing and coordinating partner meetings; Assist in the dialogue with donors and embassies and provide relevant information on UNCCD operations and financial requirements by organizing regular briefings, bilateral meetings and missions and responding to donors’ requests for information on ad hoc basis.
• Draft narrative and financial reports on contributions in compliance with specific donor requirement; Ensuring accuracy and availability of information related to donor agreements, extensions, and resulting schedules for donor reporting making sure that they are in compliance with donor agreements and the timely submission of reports;
• Perform any other job-related activity required to achieve the goals and objectives of the unit, sub-unit, programme or the secretariat.