The Blue Bonds Strategy Advisor supports the strategy leadership by managing priority projects and workstreams and serves as a technical resource on relevant global strategies including supporting complex negotiations and financial structures needed for Blue Bonds projects. They serve as a key liaison and informational contact between the global strategy team and other TNC staff, as well as external actors, including government agencies, corporations, NGO, and other groups as applicable. They track and/or assess corporate practices, governmental policies and decisions, and/or the practices or views of other stakeholders concerning the Blue Bonds strategy and priority projects and their potential impact on organizational conservation goals to make recommendations for adapting the strategy. They advise TNC communications, marketing and philanthropy staff on issues related to the global strategy or priority project(s) and related issues and help ensure that TNC’s internal and external communications accurately reflect the strategy and conservation goals. They may act as expertise outside of their team on other priority strategy teams within TNC.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Manages to the Blue Bonds Strategy Plan, creates an effective team structure, workplan and internal enabling conditions for Blue Bonds; responsible for team cohesion, finding efficiencies and capacity building.
- Facilitates the project prioritization process and manages the Blue Bonds Strategy Design Team to develop and execute a portfolio of Blue Bonds projects.
- Works across TNC as the connecting agent between several matrixed internal teams, finds opportunities and create strategic high-value connections to other TNC strategies and departments, to foster and maintain collaboration, communication and a sense of “team.”
- May serve as a project manager or team lead for Blue Bonds or other related projects where there is limited in-country staff capacity where there is limited or no direct supervisory authority.
- With the Director of Ocean Protection, serves as a key liaison and informational contact between the Blue Bonds strategy teams and external actors, including funders, government agencies, NGOs and funders..
- Leads the development of reports to donors, the Blue Bonds strategy steering committee, and other TNC leadership that require content, input, and approval from several internal teams.
- Assists Director of Ocean Protection in adaptive management and reporting on the broader portfolio of Ocean conservation where protection tools (like Blue Bonds) are used to achieve ocean protection.
- May supervise and develop direct reports.
- Works within a budget to complete projects, negotiates and contracts with vendors and assists with budget development.
- Once travel is approved for TNC employees, may involve U.S. domestic and international travel at 25%.