The Carbon Finance Deal Structurer plays a key role in the mission of the NCS Fund by leading on the structuring of innovative transactions with key partners within and outside of Conservation International. This highly motivated and creative individual utilizes their finance expertise, and acumen to ensure smooth financial operation of the Fund, while also innovating layers of new co-financing from various external sources. The Carbon Finance Deal Structurer develops and maintains the financial models for the fund’s operations and individual transactions.
This position is a crucial part of the Fund team and will work closely with the wider network of carbon finance-oriented funds and partnerships across the various divisions at CI. This team is dynamic and fast-moving, with the ambition to tap the deep knowledge and technical expertise within Conservation International, to activate and improve the quality of gigatons of emission reductions in the voluntary and compliance carbon markets. The Fund is a critical part of CI’s strategy to disburse targeted donor-supported grants combined with private investment to early-stage high-carbon-potential projects in order to scale up private sector investment in Protection, Improved Management, and Restoration NCS activities. The Fund team will prioritize impact through community engagement, safeguards, and high-quality credits, as well as projects which in “Irrecoverable Carbon” and Biodiversity hotspots. Each member of the Fund team plays a critical role in making this impact mission a success.
This position does not directly supervise staff.
- Develop and implement financial strategies on the best use of Fund capital to achieve the high impact goals of the Fund.
- Structure innovative financial solutions to best leverage finite concessional donor funds, to achieve scaled-up private sector financial flows towards NCS activities, and the communities that live within and around them.
- Support the Managing Director in innovative deal structuring on both the sales side as well as the sourcing side of carbon credit transactions.
- Perform project-based financial due diligence and analysis.
- Lead on negotiations with asset managers, brokers, corporates, and investors to achieve high leverage co-financing and new investment for NCS activities.
- Engage with other carbon finance mechanisms and teams within CI to align and maximize organizational objectives.
- Continue to innovate on the existing financial model for the fund, and create new models when needed for bespoke transactions.
- Perform related duties as assigned.