The Carbon Markets Lead, LAR, leads the region’s engagement with carbon market participants – including project developers, carbon buyers and policymakers. They coordinate closely with senior level colleagues to align, implement, and actively manage the program. They are a key focal point for topical expertise on carbon markets for the region. They work to develop a dotted line network of carbon markets and policies experts across TNC and with external partners and work to develop carbon markets knowledge inside the Region. Most importantly, they will need to work closely with all LAR Business Units that develop a portfolio of Natural Climate Solutions carbon projects that offer scale, impact and durable lasting outcomes for people and nature. This position will help drive fundraising and strategic communications with support from TNC LAR functional teams. He/she is a leader who uses TNC’s code of conduct and competencies as a baseline to lead by example.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Implements a carbon markets strategy for the region and leads engagements with carbon market participants
- Works with philanthropy and corporate engagement teams to bring additional carbon finance to projects TNC and its partners supports
- Coordinate carbon market policy engagements in Latin America countries to ensure there are clear rules of the road concerning the development of private sector carbon projects and ensuring they are nested within national programs. This could include specific guidance on Article 6 and ‘nesting’ guidance in various countries, use of ART/TREES, and other in-country initiatives such as carbon taxes and emissions trading schemes being implemented in various countries of the Region.
- Works closely with carbon markets and policies teams of all LAR Business Units to ensure coordination among potential and current carbon projects as well as TNC positions about carbon markets and policies
- Works with TNC global climate science team and LAR regional team to assess scientific validity of carbon offset projects TNC is considering or currently supporting
- Develops external relationships with key partners and subject matter experts – including signing of MOUs and partnership agreements
- Coordinates with global TNC teams to maximize and align with TNC globally to develop guidelines and rules around TNC engagement with carbon buyers
- Deals directly with field management personnel and organizational leadership
- Ability to contribute to LAR Executive Leadership Team management decisions
- Requires willingness and ability to travel up to 25% both domestically and internationally, and to work occasional weekends and evenings