The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The Science Division is responsible for analyzing the state of the global environment, providing early warning information and assessing global and regional environmental trends to catalyze and promote international cooperation and action on the environment. This post is located in the Secretariat, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) in Geneva.
Under the direct supervision of Secretary of the IPCC Secretariat and the overall administrative supervision of the Director, Science Division, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Coordinating the formulation of the IPCC work programme and budget and ensure timely and efficient implementation thereof, together with the Secretary of IPCC,
- Leading the organization of IPCC meetings, coordinating preparation of necessary meeting documents and reports, overseeing arrangement for financial support for participants eligible for support from the IPCC Trust Fund and supervising the IPCC Secretariat staff in making the travel arrangements.
- Overseeing the work of IPCC Working Groups and Task Forces and coordinating the activities of the Technical Support Units to ensure consistent, timely and coordinated implementation of the IPCC work programme.
- Leading management of the IPCC Trust Fund(s) including contractual matters,to ensure that funds are spent in accordance with the IPCC programme of work and relevant procedures and assist in fund raising activities.
- Leading the liaison with relevant UN organizations and other international bodies and programmes, in particular with UNEP , the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and with the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). Provide monthly briefings and reports related to IPCC activities to UNEP and WMO as co-sponsoring organizations.
- Leading the liaison with relevant global assessments on environment and sustainability in promoting coherence and consistencies between IPCC and other assessments, and together in seeking innovative ways to strengthen science-policy interface for the future.
- Participating in the IPCC Executive Committee and undertake relevant tasks as required in fulfilling its mandate as assigned by the Panel. Working with the Secretary, contributing to building the Secretariat into a united, inclusive and efficient team and carrying out the functions of the Secretary of IPCC in his/her absence.
- Coordinating the work of the Secretariat and by other agencies and bodies of the United Nations system; providing programmatic/substantive reviews of the drafts prepared by others.
- Coordinating and overseeing the preparation of reports for presentation to relevant bodies, the UN General Assembly and other relevant UN agencies, as appropriate.
- Reporting to intergovernmental bodies on budget/programme performance or on programmatic/ substantive issues, as appropriate, particularly those presented in biannual and/or annual reports.
- Ensuring that the outputs produced by IPCC maintain high-quality standards; that reports are clear, objective and based on comprehensive data. Ensuring that all outputs produced by the Secretariat under his/her supervision meet required standards before completion to ensure they comply with the relevant mandates.
- Undertaking or overseeing the programmatic/administrative tasks necessary for the functioning of the Secretariat, including preparation of budgets, reporting on budget/programme performance, evaluation of staff performance (PAS), interviewing candidates for job openings, evaluation of candidates and preparing inputs for results-based budgeting.
- Fostering teamwork and communication among staff in the Secretariat and across organizational boundaries.
- Participating in international, regional or national meetings and provides programmatic/substantive expertise on an issue, or holds programmatic/substantive and organizational discussions with representatives of other institutions.
- Representing the Secretariat at international, regional or national meetings.