Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
The climate change adaptation intern will help with the analysis of global climate-related events databased (EM-DAT) to identify where people have been impacted the most by climate-related events in the past 5-10 years, and with the literature review to identify adaptation responses used to address climate-related events (water insecurity, food insecurity, landslides). The goal of the review is to answer the following research questions: 1) how are people responding to climate change impacts? 2) how and how often has nature been used to address those impacts? 3) what is the evidence of nature protection, restoration and sustainable management in addressing these impacts? The information will be used to identify nature-based actions that can replace unsustainable ones and the global areas that are the most in need of nature-based adaptation actions that can help both people and nature. The intern will help assessing and reviewing scientific publications. The final product will be a database with the information collected as well as a map of priority areas for the implementation of nature-based adaptation actions. The intern will benefit from working and interacting with staff, and improve their analytical and research skills, with the possibility of being a co-author in a publication. The results of the research could be used towards a master’s project, honors thesis or capstone project.
This position is a 12 week paid summer internship
- Organize the climate events database (EM-DAT) for analysis;
- Prepare a global map of people impacted by climate change events
- Assess publications on adaptation responses to water insecurity, food insecurity and landslides driven by climate change using web of science
- Review publications and enter information in the database;
- Use the information collected to prepare a global map of responses and a global map of opportunities for the implementation of nature-based adaptation actions.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Normal working environment, likely remote working due to Covid-19. No travel required