Conservation International is on a mission to empower societies to responsibly and sustainably care for nature, our global biodiversity, for the well-being of humanity. The Center for Oceans at Conservation International works in more than 24 countries around the world to conserve the nature that people need. From deep ocean seamounts to mangrove forests along the coast, and the coral reefs in between, we work in partnership to design solutions for people and for nature.
The Communication Manager will join a collaborative and dynamic team to provide communication, strategic messaging, and content-creation for programs and projects in the Center for Oceans at Conservation International and to the Blue Nature Alliance multi-institutional partnership. The Blue Nature Alliance is a global partnership backed by Conservation International, The Pew Charitable Trust, Minderoo Foundation, the Global Environment Facility, and The Rob and Melani Walton Foundation. Together we collaborate with governments, NGOs, Indigenous peoples and local communities, ocean conservation experts, scientists, communities of practice, and financial strategists, to effectively double the area of global ocean protections in five years.
The Communication Manager will report to the Vice President for Innovation and Development in the Center for Oceans, collaborate with the Brand and Communications Division, partner with field communicators, and participate in the Blue Nature Alliance communications working group.
The Communication Manager will be responsible for identifying, writing, and producing high-quality communications approaches and products that tell a story of impact, celebrate local heroes, and inspire belief that nature and people can thrive together. Protecting our planet is a responsibility that goes beyond a small group of dedicated conservationists. We must engage with people and communities who are naturally motivated to make a change and move us toward a sustainable world.
The ideal candidate is a committed conservationist with the ability to tell compelling stories and communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with all levels of management both internally and externally. This position requires excellent communication skills, superior relationship-building skills, the ability to multi-task, and an ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with the highest degree of professionalism.
- Coach and assist team members in improving communication skills.
- Identify and craft impactful stories.
- Maintain a messaging and events calendar.
- Create informative and interesting talking points, press releases, newsletters, fact sheets, brochures, blogs, presentations, and related communication materials.
- Plan and manage the design, content, and production of communication materials.
- Work with project teams to generate new ideas, stories, and strategies.
- Manage communication tasks and activities to guarantee all content is publication-ready in a timely manner.
- Create communication strategies for programs, projects, and strategic events.
- Liaise and collaborate with the CI Brand and Communications staff, CI communication colleagues in field offices, in addition to communicators at partner organizations.
- Ensure alignment and consistency with brand strategy and local execution.
- Respond to communication-related issues in a timely manner.
- Assists planning for strategic engagement around key international conferences and events
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.