The Communications Specialist is responsible for developing and implementing focused communications and/or media tactics that facilitate comprehension, adoption and advancement of the goals and objectives of all projects managed by The Nature Conservancy’s Northern Caribbean Program. This position will be based in The Nature Conservancy’s office in The Bahamas and will also support activities throughout the Caribbean region. They will be expected to collaborate and communicate with media practitioners, government officials, regional and international partner organizations, non-governmental organizations and community groups and be liaison to the media. In this role, the Communications Specialist will be supervised by the Director of Marketing for the Caribbean Division.
With these responsibilities, it is expected that they will have creative ideas, solid execution and follow-up skills, experience multi-tasking, and will work as part of a larger marketing team. It is also essential that the Communications Specialist have excellent organizational and writing/storytelling skills as a key function of the position will be drafting written materials for placement in local and national outlets, developing content for the media, and assisting in producing audio/visual supports.
The Communications Specialist is an integral contributor to The Nature Conservancy’s Marketing Division and the primary interface with the media in The Bahamas, reporting to the Director of Marketing for the Caribbean Division. They develop and implement media and public relations plans that support the Northern Caribbean programs and priorities, cultivate local/regional print and broadcast media, and publicize priority conservation issues, manage both reactive and proactive media contacts, and make use of print, broadcast and electronic media. The position develops messaging and other content for special projects, events, and issues and has primary responsibility for writing media outreach materials in support of the Northern Caribbean Program.
- Implement and manage communication and media tactics as outlined in approved strategies and plans, at the island, national, and regional level.
- Create, implement, and oversee communications strategies and plans for the Northern Caribbean Program in close coordination with the Northern Caribbean Program Director.
- Support additional in-region outreach, communications and promotional efforts as needed to support The Nature Conservancy in the Caribbean’s regional communications needs.
- Help facilitate on-going communication between internal and external stakeholders at both the local and regional level and identify communication and media needs and opportunities within purview.
- Research, write, and distribute a wide variety of communication materials including, but not limited to: op-eds, news releases, fact sheets, web articles and blog posts as directed in program marketing plans.
- Actively identify target audiences and skillfully target messaging to a variety of audiences, including cultivating media contacts on a local and national level.
- Develop and foster relationships with internal and external partners. They will be responsible for supporting the communications work of all projects in The Bahamas.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Create, pitch, and place story ideas, press releases and media advisories for local/regional/national outlets related to conservation work in The Bahamas.
- Generate editorial content with, or on behalf of, the Program’s conservation, science, and executive leaders.
- Serve as team lead on assigned communication and/or media initiatives.
- Manage and implement projects.
- Guide staff in their efforts to be on the look-out for story ideas with media potential and needed areas of communications support.
- Develop/draft materials/scripts/talking points/photos/b-roll video footage and other needed materials for story packages.
- Coordinate media and communications efforts with TNC partners, including government agencies, academic institutions, other NGOs, and private companies and enterprise.
- Coordinate with TNC’s global media team on cultivating local story opportunities for national and international press and provide local media support for global priorities as needed.Bahamas