The Director of Donor Engagement leads a dynamic team that creates and delivers innovative and inclusive travel and event experiences to inform, engage and inspire current and prospective donors, deepening their connection with TNC’s mission and global conservation work. The Director of Donor Engagement leads the Donor Engagement Team and partners with the larger Donor Relations Department to enhance and expand our portfolio of donor engagement experiences and execute them with excellence; to cultivate, steward and show current donors the impact of their giving; and to connect with new and increasingly diverse audiences.
The Director of Donor Engagement collaborates with their team and with partners in fundraising to set and meet the goals, objectives, strategies and plans that contribute to TNC’s donor engagement and fundraising goals. The Director is a member of the Donor Relations leadership team and collaborates with fundraising leaders across TNC to grow engagement and giving among current and prospective middle, major, principal and planned giving donors. They build and maintain partnerships with external vendors to expand travel and event offerings to ensure highest quality and consistency with TNC’s brand, values and mission. They share and reinforce the organization’s policies and procedures related to travel and events to ensure consistent, best in class engagement experiences for all TNC donors, and to minimize organizational risk.
They develop metrics, analyses and reports for leadership to track the team’s progress, communicate its results/impact and identify strategic opportunities for programmatic growth. The Director coaches, advises and offers guidance and support to the members of their team, developing their skills in travel, events and other aspects of donor relations/fundraising. They also develop and deliver training programs related to donor engagement for development teams across the organization.
They will lead diverse activities, develop complex processes, project outcomes, and initiate solutions in order to improve effectiveness. They lead the enhancement of systems and tools used by the team. The Director leverages constructive and effective relationships with a wide range of people, including donors, executives, senior management, public and private sector colleagues, and partners including financial/legal advisors. The Director leads and manages the Donor Engagement Team through excellent management and communications.They liaise with diverse teams from across the entire organization delivering TNC’s global conservation work, including the Office of the CEO, Principal Gifts, Planned Giving, Directors of Development, global conservation leadership and local development and conservation teams.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Broad management responsibility for Donor Engagement Team members, including training, professional development, establishing clear direction, setting objectives, and overseeing the execution of day-to-day work.
- Commit actions and resources in a way that affects public image and binds the organization financially or legally.
- Develop and administer budget, evaluate results and develop corrective strategies as needed.
- Ensure that programmatic commitments, TNC policies and procedures, and financial standards are met and managed for ethical compliance.
- Implement and direct multiple projects, directing work of staff, managing budget, setting deadlines, and ensuring accountability.
- Lead new programs/initiatives that will ensure department and organization-wide goals and strategies are achieved.
- Maintain confidentiality of frequently sensitive and emotionally charged information.
- Manage strategic initiatives through stakeholder collaboration to enhance performance in accordance with short and long-term objectives.
- Maximum opportunity to act independently, resolves complex issues within program area.
- May direct or participate in negotiations for complex, high profile or sensitive agreements.
- Minimize legal risk to the Conservancy and ensure legal compliance with applicable state and local regulations.
- Responsibility and accountability for meeting strategic goals and objectives.
- Travel frequently and on short notice, work long hours and weekends.
- Work environment involves only infrequent exposure to disagreeable elements and minor physical exertion and/or strain.