TNC is seeking an experienced, enterprising, and driven philanthropy professional and senior leader to join us as the Director of US Principal Gift Development. This is a new program and role for TNC. The Director will be responsible for establishing and leading the new US Wealth Market effort and team – focused on at least 5 key wealth markets in the United States. They will partner with leaders across development and conservation to establish and lead this new effort to increase TNC’s principal giving pipeline. The 5 markets planned for this first pilot are Boston, Miami, Greenwich, Dallas and Jackson Hole. Note the markets could change based on what we learn.
The Director will also be a key part of the Global Wealth Markets team and initiative, a recently created, cross-cutting global team focused on engaging ultra-high net worth, global citizens in wealth centers around the world who are seeking to improve global conservation outcomes for people and nature.
The Director will work to set, lead and meet the strategic priorities of the US Wealth Markets Program and team by conceiving of, developing, and managing plans and strategies. They will focus on both the short term and long-range strategic priorities, communicate and engage a diverse group of stakeholders, identify key issues and requirements, negotiating and developing solutions, and synthesizing a plan of action. They will establish and monitor activity level benchmarks and measures of success and will iterate based on what we learn. They will be responsible for presenting analysis and recommendations to various senior/executive staff and volunteer leadership boards. The Director will also be responsible for a small group of prospects and donors.
The Director will hire, onboard, and mentor at least 5 new senior business development fundraisers in at least 5 US wealth markets that have been identified as a part of this program. They will ensure and support these market-based fundraisers in establishing strong footholds in their local market while also building one strong, cross-cutting US team to drive the success of the whole enterprise and collective vision. They will also play a critical role to link with the International Markets and establish collaboration and strong working relations with the team focused on these additional global markets.
The Director will report to TNC’s Global Director of Principal Gifts.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Are you looking for a career to help people and nature? Guided by science, TNC creates innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that people and nature can thrive together. We’re looking for an inspirational, driven, highly collaborative manager and leader who can direct our effort to accelerate our Principal Gift fundraising efforts in key markets throughout the United States. The Conservancy is a global conservation leader and one of the top fundraising charities in the United States.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 9 years related experience, including 3 years working at a senior level.
- Experience building and maintaining long-term relationships with fundraising constituents, senior leaders and ultra high net worth individuals and volunteers.
- Experience conceiving and implementing strategic initiatives.
- Experience working in a large, complex, not-for-profit environment.
- Experience in fundraising at the major and principal gift levels with individuals/ultra-high net worth individuals (closing gifts at major gift level of $100k+ and PG level of $5M+).
- Experience in building prospect/donor pipelines and in building pipelines at this wealth level in under-tapped markets.
- Experience working with volunteer leaders in discovery work and pipeline development work.
- Management experience for a geographically dispersed team.
- Experience, coursework, or other training in principles, practices, and procedures of major gift and principal gift fundraising.