The Ecological Restoration Crew Member is a 3-month, full-time, short-term position based out of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park located in Peninsula, Ohio. The Ecological Restoration Crew Member is part of a 3-person team that supports the implementation of ecological restoration projects throughout Northeast Ohio. Daily activities of the Crew Member will be over seen and directed by the Restoration Team Leader who reports to the Restoration Practitioner. This is primarily a field position working with project partners to survey and control invasive species throughout project sites in Northeast Ohio through chemical and mechanical applications. S/he will also be responsible for equipment preparation, use, and maintenance; use of GPS unit and related devices; accurate record keeping; and other responsibilities as assigned. This position may be extended for longer than three months contingent on funding.
- Use chemical and manual methods to control invasive, non-native plant species.
- Use GPS and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to identify, record and map non-native, invasive species’ presence and locations throughout project sites.
- Excellent communication skills to ensure efficient, effective and safe working conditions with crew members, partners, and the public.
- Use and maintain equipment, vehicles, trailers, GPS units and tools.
- Use of Argo amphibious vehicle in water and on land.
- Distribute educational materials and answer questions from the general public.
- Navigate natural areas with map and compass.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Receives detailed instructions to complete required tasks.
- May be responsible for purchases and record keeping.
- May work under close supervision or infrequent supervision.
- Works as part of a team and does not supervise staff.