This position is responsible for editing content produced primarily by the Communications department staff and contractors, including a quarterly print magazine, blog, online features, and email newsletters. The role will also include some writing opportunities.
This position can be based in Seattle, WA, San Francisco, CA, Los Angeles, CA, Washington, DC, or New York City, NY. Candidates may work remotely from these locations due to office space availability.
- Serve as lead editor for Earthjustice’s digital storytelling. Specific duties include: approving pitches in conjunction with the managing editor; shaping ideas with writers before they file; editing of blog posts for message clarity, tone, and style based on the target audience and strategic goals; ensuring articles make a connection to Earthjustice’s big picture goals; editing headlines and captions; and publishing the post to the web through our publishing system software and HTML. The role requires significant autonomous decision-making: frequently, this person serves as the sole editor on articles and, during periods when the managing editor is away or occupied, can decide alone whether to take or decline blog pitches.
- Significant editing responsibilities with the Earthjustice Quarterly Magazine. Duties may include: leading the magazine fact-checking process, editing magazine articles; editing captions, credits, table of contents and cover text; working with the online team to adapt and publish print articles to the web; and other duties as needed.
- Manage Earthjustice’s fact-checking program, which includes developing training materials; recruiting and training freelance and in-house fact-checkers; managing fact-checking workflow; verifying all final fact-checked content.
- Coordinate across teams to ensure timely gathering of assets like photos and promotion on our main channels.
- Surface trends in digital traffic data and draw lessons for the Communications department over what written content is particularly effective on our various channels.
- Lead Editorial’s rapid response efforts by preparing for expected news moments and ensuring quick execution when news breaks. This could involve writing or editing updates to existing content or repurposing press release text for a general audience.
- Assist the managing editor in implementing the department’s overall content strategy and participate in brainstorms with the Communications team on the most effective ways to tell particular stories.
- Serve as editorial lead on various department-wide content projects.
- Shape social media promotion text with the social media team for content written by those outside the Editorial team.
- Work with senior level attorneys, program staff, digital staff, and the managing editor in updating and editing content on Earthjustice’s website, including online explainers, features, action alerts, and donor emails.
- Actively contribute to editorial meetings and content postmortems, as well as trainings on editorial-related topics.
- Ensure that publications adhere to Earthjustice’s editorial style guide. Recommend changes to guide when necessary and implement updates when approved. Perform administrative duties, such as web publishing and workflow updating as needed.
- Occasionally edit press releases, opinion pieces, reports, emails, and action alerts destined for external publications.
- Serve as contributor to Earthjustice’s print and digital publications, such as the magazine and website. The focus will be on time-sensitive digital content, but there also will be occasional opportunities to write for the magazine.