The Finance/Accounting Specialist II provides highly specialized finance/accounting-related services to the Global Science business unit and manages the finances of the Science for Nature and People Partnership (SNAPP). Global Science is the Conservancy’s centralized research unit that drives synthesis and creation of new evidence around linkages between conservation and human well-being. Lead Scientists and other science staff in Global Science drive primary research and synthesis at the leading edge of use-driven science, probing for solutions to joint global challenges for nature and people. We also cultivate and engage world-class universities in partnerships that help bring global expertise in diverse disciplines to our conservation challenges.
Founded in 2013, the Science for Nature and People Partnership (SNAPP) is the world’s premier innovation engine of conservation science and sustainable development policy, partnering with public, non-profit and private sector organizations around the world to transform the relationship between people and nature. Backed by The Nature Conservancy (TNC) and the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS), SNAPP funds, convenes and supports Expert Working Groups addressing challenges in four focus areas: Climate Resilience, Food and Freshwater, Ocean Sustainability and Social Innovations. Visit www.snappartnership.net to learn more.
The Finance/Accounting Specialist II provides specialized services in financial management and reporting; accounting; grants administration, management and reporting; or similar financial activities for a department or business unit. They have a high level of expertise in their area(s) of specialization. The position administers and maintains finance/accounting activities in accordance with TNC policies and procedures and best practices in financial management. The Finance/Accounting Specialist II provides assistance to staff in their specialty area. They respond to moderately complex employee/management questions and problems based on advanced knowledge of the subject area. The Finance/Accounting Specialist II reports to Global Science Director of Finance and Operations and is a key member of the Global Science Operations Team, supporting a geographically dispersed team of 25+ staff. They will work closely with Program/Project Managers as well as Legal and Finance colleagues.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Act independently within the team goals to prioritize tasks in the absence of specific instructions and exercise independent judgement to identify and solve problems.
- Foster a resilient culture of inter-organization financial information sharing.
- Collaboratively prepare financial reports to partners and the SNAPP Board and manage the overall finances of SNAPP in coordination with the partnership finance representatives.
- Seek collaborative solutions that ensure programmatic commitments, TNC policies and procedures, financial standards and legal requirements are met and managed for compliance in a service-oriented manner.
- Generate and analyze monthly financial reports and data from the general ledger, as well as other ad hoc financial reports, such as Labor Distribution Report, track spending rates and work closely with staff to ensure appropriate time allocations.
- Prepare accounting forms and reports, such as journal entries, cash receipt recordings and adjustments, payment of invoices, and review of expense reports.
- Prepare donor and management financial reports including budget/spend analysis and forecasting.
- Act as the time coordinator for the Global Science team ensuring timesheets are accurate and submitted on time and coordinating for adjustments when required.
- Work toward meeting the strategic priorities of the program by developing and coordinating imaginative tactics for approved plans and completing day-to-day tasks.
- Support the Global Science Director of Finance and Operations with other priority needs on an as-needed basis