The Forest Projects Manager develops and directs NCS forest projects to achieve climate mitigation, biodiversity, and people benefits in collaboration with a cross-functional team in New York. Projects include managing a current portfolio of forest carbon market projects as well as developing a broad range of solutions across forest protection, management, and restoration strategies. The Forest Projects Manager establishes the Conservancy as a major partner within forest conservation and forest carbon market communities. They build strategic, scientific, and technical capacity around sustainable forestry practices, forest carbon sequestration and storage, climate resiliency, and carbon markets. They develop key partnerships with government agencies, private organizations, academic institutions, landowners, and contractors to advance NCS, identify and resolve technical issues, and widely communicate forest climate solutions and best practices. The Forest Projects Manager may engage in forest carbon project development and negotiate complex and innovative solutions with landowners and other project partners. The Forest Projects Manager works closely with the NCS Team lead to develop work plans and budgets, and engages with fundraising, finance, communications and marketing staff as needed. They also work closely with the Conservancy’s North American Region to ensure consistency with evolving organizational strategies and procedures and support the development of tools that scale up forest carbon sequestration and NCS outcomes.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Develops and implements forest strategies that mitigate greenhouse gas emissions and promote biodiversity and nature’s benefits to people within the New York Division.
- Manages projects, contracts, budgets, and work planning.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships and collaborations with stakeholders such as government agencies, academic institutions, NGOs, tribes, forest industries, practitioners, and landowners.
- May manage professional staff, with responsibility for performance management, training, and career development. Establishes clear directions and stretch objectives.
- Establishes and maintains optimal standards of performance for the Natural Climate Solutions Team while controlling costs and administering budgets.
- Writes and manages grants as needed.
- Supports the Natural Climate Solutions Team lead to ensure public and private funds are raised to meet program needs.
- Ensures program compliance with internal policies and external requirements.
- May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances.
- Frequently makes independent decision based on analysis, experience, and context.