The Gender Advisor will provide leadership and technical support as a subject matter expert for TNC conservation strategies, programs, as well as conservation teams in Africa. The Gender Advisor will be the gender focal point person between Africa and TNC’s Global teams as well as other conservation and development organizations that focus on gender. They will implement gender strategies in line with TNC Gender policy. The position will report to the TNC Africa Director of Conservation and can be based at any of the TNC office locations in Kenya, Tanzania, or Zambia.
The Gender Advisor advises and trains conservation teams in the Africa Region on how to better address and integrate gender issues. This position will identify the top leverage points for increasing uptake of gender transformative initiatives within our teams and programs. The Gender Advisor will primarily focus on integrating gender into all aspects of the regional program of work and supporting our ongoing programs.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Define priorities for gender and conservation for the region.
- Serve as the Africa technical expert/spokesperson for gender.
- Provide technical leadership on gender to various projects and staff.
- Ensure that all Africa conservation initiatives are aligned with TNC gender guidelines.
- Monitor and analyze developments on gender and conservation within Africa.
- Develop key partnerships with public and private organizations on gender training.
- Ensure gender is integrated into public and private fundraising proposals.
- In partnership with the fundraising team, develop donor-specific proposals to fund our gender work.
- Train Africa staff including the leadership team on gender awareness and unconscious bias.
- Develop a cohort of gender focal points across the region.
- Work with the communications team to regularly share progress, successes, learnings to raise profile of gender.
- Support the Africa Women in Nature (WIN) employee resource group and the Africa Affinity Group for Women and Girls.
- Share good gender practices with TNC colleagues outside of Africa.
- Review regional staffing data each year to ensure a continued gender balance at different grade levels and in different teams.
- Must be willing to work in variable weather conditions, remote locations, hazardous terrain, and physically demanding circumstances