The Kankakee Sands Assistant Land Steward maintains preserve areas frequented by the visiting public and performs land management activities across Kankakee Sands. They will remove exotic species; conduct species monitoring; help with all aspects of native seed collection and processing; assist at the native plant nursery and with prescribed burns; and maintain tools, equipment, and site infrastructure. The Assistant Land Steward will also participate in data collection, preserve monitoring, outreach, and ongoing research projects; as well as maintain preserve records using iPads, PC, mobile device, and paper records.
This position may require irregular work hours and long days, particularly during spring and fall fire seasons. While the position will work primarily on the Kankakee Sands macrosite, there may be infrequent travel requiring overnight stays to other locations.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Supervises no staff, but may help plan and direct preserve work groups, including staff or volunteers.
- May help organize and participate in community outreach events and/or volunteer workdays.
- May work under minimal/distant supervision and make some independent decisions as delegated by supervisor.
- Work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances.
- May travel a few times a year for training or regional meetings.