Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s Law Division is the lead Division charged with carrying out the functions of UNEP in the field of environmental law, governance and related policy issues, including those related to multilateral environmental agreements (MEAs). To fulfill its mandate, the work of the Law Division focuses on: leading the international community in the progressive development of environmental law; supporting States in the development and implementation of legal, institutional and policy measures that address emerging and important environmental challenges; facilitating cooperation and coordination among MEAs and between UNEP and those agreements; working with MEA Secretariats to support Parties to the respective MEAs in implementing their treaty obligations; and facilitating policy dialogue among States on issues relating to international environmental law and governance. This position is located in the Law Division in Nairobi, Kenya. Under the overall supervision of the Director and Deputy Director and day-to-day guidance and supervision of the Head of the Programme Delivery and Management Unit of the Division, the incumbent is responsible for managing the Division’s Knowledge Management and Communication priorities. Within delegated authority the Information Managerment Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
1. Directs the further development and operation of knowledge management systems at the Division to generate, collect, maintain and disseminate information on environmental law and governance, including MEAs.
– Takes the lead in strategy, planning, development and implementation of large, complex publication information management initiatives in the field of environmental law and governance, including MEAs (e.g. global promotion initiatives, broad-reaching subject specific issues, etc.); in close collaboration with the Communications Division and other relevant Units/Divisions, develops ways to implement campaigns system-wide and to incorporate the campaign message and themes into all relevant events and product
2. Contributes to the formulation of overall policies, procedures, objectives and guidelines affecting the development and maintenance of the Division’s non-current records and archives and delivery of reference services, archival description and systems management.
– Takes the lead in compiling information from various knowledge repositories and web resources.
Manages publications programme; produces materials for print/electronic/voice/visual media.
– Coordinates preparation of material for newsletters, periodicals, reports and books and edits drafts.
– Builds partnerships and information networks; plans and oversees maintenance of publicly accessible information materials on UNEP as they relate to environmental law and governance, including MEAs; plans and develops outreach activities in close collaboration with Communications Division.
3. Manages the day-to-day operation of the team responsible for knowledge management and communication at the Division, including participating in coordination of substantive and administrative activities of the team, interpreting and disseminating policy, providing procedural advice, improving reporting systems, handling operational and administrative queries, preparing budget submissions, establishing and/or coordinating training programmes and monitoring and evaluating results.
– Evaluates applications and cost-effectiveness of services in relation to technology options and prepares data and recommendations for decision-making.
4. Develops project proposals and identify sources and seeks funding and other assistance for major campaigns.
– Act as a focal point between the Communication Division and all MEAs on all communication needs and activities
5. Performs other duties as assigned.