The Lake Tanganyika Program Coordinator establishes the Conservancy as a major conservation partner within the Lake Tanganyika Basin, supports defining conservation priorities and long-term conservation strategies, supports building strategic, scientific, and technical capacity in the field, and supports developing key partnerships with public and private organizations to identify and resolve technical issues and to widely communicate solutions and best practices. The Lake Tanganyika Program coordinator supports the Lake Tanganyika Program Director to develop the management, implementation, and coordination capacity of TNC staff and other non-governmental organizations and government entities. The position also will support the implementation of a Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) program led by a MEL specialist for the program. The Program Coordinator will also work with colleagues to develop and implement a sustainable funding strategy and action plan to secure funding for long-term fisheries management and conservation action
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Support the Lake Tanganyika Program Director in the design of the TNC Lake Tanganyika Program strategic plan, and annual action plan.
- Provides technical leadership and management of a complex freshwater program.
- Supervises the monitoring of key deliverables, outputs, and outcomes as per work plans.
- Ensures coordination among numerous stakeholders, partners, and participants for the project.
- Coordinate budget management and tracking of Program progress with assistance from the TNC Operations team
- Oversee project management for the program, using TNC’s Highly Effective Teams and any other approaches to effectively manage key projects and support the work of cross-functional, cross-geographic teams towards the desired outcome.
- Coordinate work plans, manage consultants, and negotiate contracts with vendors.
- Oversees preparation and implementation of grants and contracts.
- Mentor and manage professional staff, with responsibility for performance management, training, and career development.
- Establish and maintain optimal standards of performance for the department or program while controlling costs and administering budgets.
- Supports the Lake Tanganyika Program Director to ensure that public and private funds are raised to meet program needs, in support of the TNC Africa philanthropy team.
- Builds cooperation from outside parties to accomplish program goals, particularly with the Lake Tanganyika Authority and riparian governments as well as other partners.
- May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances.
- Frequently makes independent decisions based on analysis, experience, and context.