As a global grassroots organisation, our sites and platforms are usually multilingual and the content is generally maintained by staff outside the Product Team. The relevant web domain includes our main website as well as numerous distributed websites and microsite networks, custom web tools, and web-based elements of other digital products that support our organising (e.g. donation, signup, event pages, etc). The role involves managing significant complexity, and offers the opportunity to lead innovative and high-profile projects that support and build the effectiveness of the climate movement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Leadership & Management (50% of the time)
- Lead in the technical direction for 350.org’s engineering team and the tech stack.
- Line-manage two developers and a senior data specialist and coach them in solving technical problems.
- Foster collaboration across the wider Product team, participating in prioritisation exercises, sprints, and help guide the continuous improvement of our ways of working.
- Set realistic goals so that the team is delivering on the most important challenges with high quality standards and the data to back it up.
- Work with a diverse set of stakeholders including Product Managers and UX/UI designer to understand our audience and their needs.
- Engage and manage external expertise where needed.
Engineering (50% of the time)
- Lead the web development aspect of high-profile projects. This includes:
- managing the team’s work on innovative web tools to support global and regional teams on campaigns, mobilisations and fundraising
- hands-on coding and taking care of the crucial parts of the work
- ensure integrity of the codebase and make sure it is robust and scalable
- facilitate code reviews and lead on the QA automation process
- provide feedback on the feasibility of concepts, estimation and timelines
- Identify areas for iteration and oversee the continuous improvement of our web infrastructure in the most space- and cost-effective way:
- working with the team to identify and prioritise technical debt
- coaching and guiding the team’s work to continuously upgrade our multisite networks (currently WordPress), theme and deployment processes
- Oversee digital security of our web infrastructure
- Understand the landscape of options, opportunities and challenges in the area of activism tech, and support the team to innovate and experiment to find new ways to use web technologies to help win campaigns and build movements