Greenpeace International (GPI) is seeking a Legal Counsel Climate Justice and Liability (Corporate Accountability Specialist) to lead the co-creation, coordination, implementation and review of the corporate accountability litigation aspects of the Climate Justice and Liability (CJL) campaign. This will involve working with other GPI legal counsels and the National and Regional Organisations (NROs), across multiple jurisdictions, and advising in multiple climate corporate accountability strategies.
Contributing to the design of high impact strategic climate litigation focused on corporate accountability, you will guide, encourage, support and work with NRO project teams in all litigation phases of the campaign project lifecycle. You will assess and advise on the legal risks associated with the campaign’s complex and multi-jurisdictional activities and provide legal expertise in corporate accountability in order to input on strategy development. You will be part of the GPI legal unit and work under the supervision of the Senior Legal Counsel for Strategic Litigation and in close cooperation and guidance from the Climate Justice and Liability permanent lawyer.
In this role you will:
- Provide legal advice and support for the development and implementation of corporate climate legal strategies for the CJL campaign, anticipating possible threats and identifying opportunities for legal tools to advance objectives.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of business, human rights, international environmental and corporate accountability law, plus other relevant issues, to provide proactive guidance and legal advice to Greenpeace global campaigns.
- Assist in domestic, regional and international litigation, including development of litigation strategies and application of international law, as well as drafting, reviewing and disseminating legal submissions.
- Partner with NROs, external counsel and allies in the development and implementation of corporate legal strategies, including by building evidentiary basis and legal arguments for cases that build the power of communities.
- Lead and manage the legal aspects of assigned projects, helping to drive the design and co-creation of new projects to drive the campaign objectives.
- Lead the legal risk assessment and review of litigation strategies and campaign publications, ensuring campaign compliance with legal review procedures.
- Lead discussions, planning and execution regarding the project’s climate litigation strategies and associated activities, and support mobilising efforts to help fund and build public support for the legal cases.
- Lead and develop high-level legal expertise in climate and energy issues, in order to enhance the overall strategy and identify strategic opportunities.
- Conduct training and capacity building, as well as knowledge sharing via events, peer review publications, etc.
- Work with communities threatened by the impacts of climate change to ensure legal efforts help deliver justice – inside or outside the courtroom.
- Establish, maintain and integrate a global network of allies, experts, academics and stakeholders on relevant legal issues.
- Represent GPI at UN treaty bodies and other mechanisms in conjunction with other GPI colleagues.
- Represent, as delegated,GPI and NROs at international and national meetings, acting as a spokesperson for the project, assisting in developing media strategies and communications products, and actively cultivating media relationships.
- Participate in regular progress reviews and evaluations of campaign projects and help to develop a Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning framework.