We are looking for a Beijing-based legal researcher to join our China Programme team. We are a legal and environmental charity that uses the power of the law to fight against climate change and to protect nature and the environment. Our China office works closely with progressive actors in the Chinese government to develop strong, modern and multi-stakeholder environmental and climate governance, mitigating China’s environmental and climate impacts both nationally and internationally and supporting China to play a leading role in global environmental governance
In this role you will be assisting our team with building and implementing a portfolio of legal initiatives. You will be researching and analyzing the legal and environmental landscape in China, thus helping to support our proposed legal initiatives, with the aim of accelerating the transition to an environmentally friendly and low-carbon world.
Meet your Manager
In this role, you will be managed by our Programme Manager, Liu Mengxing. Liu Mengxing joined ClientEarth China in 2017 and is currently in charge of our work on capacity building for the judiciary with the Supreme People’s Court and the Supreme People’s Procuratorate.
The role will focus primarily on supporting the development and implementation of legal programmes. More specifically, the role will include:
- Conducting research on environmental law related topics to support and advocate for the drafting of better laws and regulations, stronger environmental rule of law in China.
- Contributing to the strategic development of ClientEarth’s workstreams in China
- Providing assistance in developing and implementing capacity-building activities with the judiciary and other legal projects with government counterparts, consultants and/or external partners.
- Preparation of reports, policy briefs and other research outputs
- Providing other support as requested by the supervisor and other staff: taking and circulating meeting notes, preparing activity reports, etc.