Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
Amid growing consensus that the protection, restoration, and improved management of ecosystems can provide at least 30% of the climate mitigation needed to limit warming to 1.5°C, Conservation International has set ambitious targets to realize the potential of these natural climate solutions (NCS) worldwide. CI is launching an NCS fund that seeks to double private investment in quality NCS. The Fund will deploy philanthropic capital to create a portfolio of high-quality NCS projects, to demonstrate and elevate standards of quality NCS for climate and people, and to unlock a range of protection, restoration, and improved management actions for much greater investment. The Fund is anticipated to grow into 30-50 projects over the next 5 years, with a target capitalization of at least $100 million.
CI seeks an experienced Managing Director to lead and oversee all aspects of Fund management. This includes programmatic direction, donor and implementing partner relationship management, project management, fundraising, tracking and reporting. An ideal candidate would combine strong operational and technical portfolio management experience with proven diplomatic, external-facing relationship management skills to achieve the Fund’s goals.
Fund development and management
- Develop Fund workplans, objectives, processes, and metrics for the management and delivery of conservation outcomes.
- Oversee and refine core systems and processes for the Fund, including investment selection and implementation processes and governance structures.
- Ensure Fund and funding recipient compliance with governance policies, CI policies and funding agreements.
- Lead internal information sharing and cross collaboration to share lessons learned and build stakeholder understanding.
Fund implementation and reporting
- Oversee Fund implementation, including the solicitation, review, and selection of Fund investments through appropriate governance structures.
- Grow and oversee Fund’s pipeline of investable NCS projects focusing on sites with highest potential to advance toward Fund targets for climate mitigation, co-benefits, and scaling.
- Coordinate work across units to ensure that funded activities are aligned with the Fund’s priorities and goals.
- Track budgets and oversee monitoring and evaluation. Share financial and project progress reports to key audiences; identify and implement refinements in work plans and strategies.Fund resourcing and communications –
- Serve as a primary spokesperson for the Fund and prepare CI executives for speeches, presentations, and donor interactions related to the Fund.
- Collaborate in fundraising efforts to capitalize the Fund at $100+ million, including leading the development of major fundraising proposals.
- Create effective communication materials to engage stakeholders including donors, government and NGOs, and technical colleagues.
- Hire and directly supervise a program having 1–3 direct reports (e.g., Coordinator, Monitoring & Evaluation Manager).
- Build and lead a networked team of 10+ staff supporting Fund from programs across the institution.