In addition to a talented cadre of environmental lawyers and legislative advocates, Earthjustice has an amazing communications department that works in partnership with every other department at the organization.
This position is responsible for working in the Marketing team to help guide the growth of Earthjustice brand awareness, engagement and support. This person will provide marketing expertise across an array of marketing areas including strategy, advertising, media and insights. This position will help drive the execution of marketing efforts as well as the day-to-day department needs.
This position can be based in one of the following locations: San Francisco, CA or Los Angeles, CA. Due to covid-19, Earthjustice staff are currently working remotely from approved locations through September 7, 2021.
General Marketing (50%)
- Author marketing strategy briefs grounded in insights and incorporating input from relevant teams.
- Develop effective integrated marketing plans for key tentpoles so Earthjustice can present a united brand campaign across paid, owned and earned channels. Lead a cross-functional team of associates in both Communications and Development to develop specific plans for each workstream and oversee all project management aspects of this work to ensure a timely and effective delivery of all plans.
- Oversee and collaborate with in-house Creative team and agency partners as they translate strategy to bring the creative idea to life. Lead internal teams to develop best-in-class execution ideas for paid advertising, partnerships, social, events, and other opportunities that will compel target audiences to engage and support us.
- Lead the management of 2-3 core external agency relationships from start to finish including RFPs, on-boarding, regular meetings, reports, annual performance review
- Develop, implement and evaluate other strategic brand building projects as directed
Strategic Insights and Planning (30%)
- Help develop and strategically execute the annual brand marketing plan to grow brand awareness and engagement with new target audiences
- Guide the Communications department’s understanding of marketing and engage them on key strategic plans and results on all marketing activities
- Develop a deep understanding of the supporter/donor audiences and leverage consumer insights to drive a growth strategy
- Initiate and analyze market research of new audiences we want to reach to improve the organization’s marketing efforts. Conduct desk research or proprietary research on relevant topics, market trends and people to ensure EJ’s efforts are fresh and relevant to target audiences
- Direct the evaluation of the competitive landscape across the environmental and social justice space to ensure EJ’s positioning is unique and ownable.
Continued Learning (10%)
- Participates in organization-wide initiatives and trainings that contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences
- Utilizes internal and external resources to support a personal and professional development journey that increases skills and capabilities
Management (Essential Functions) (10%)
*Currently this position will directly manage one direct report with potential for team growth in the future
- Provides staff with consistent performance feedback – both positive and constructive — and acts as a coach and mentor. Deliver annual performance reviews for staff on time.
- Develops staff by providing professional development opportunities with appropriate training, encouragement, and supervision.
- Promotes inclusive work environment for team and models inclusive behavior.
- Recruits and hires qualified candidates who fit position requirements and the work environment.
- Promotes change in terms of the expected benefits, as well as removing or lowering the impact of potential obstacles.
- Sets clear team direction that aligns with Earthjustice strategy, mission, and vision.
- Provides staff with performance feedback and acts as a coach and mentor.
- Communicates regularly with existing employees and encourages staff to raise concerns and to provide ongoing feedback.
- Creates or identifies strategic opportunities for team building and individual and overall staff engagement with one another in order to strengthen teamwork, interaction and collaboration.
- Values and uses individual differences and talents to improve employee satisfaction and the quality of collective work.
- Celebrates successes and helps team members to understand and manage setbacks.