As part of an overall strategy to heighten the visibility of The Nature Conservancy (and conservation writ large) in Tennessee, this role calls for a well-rounded media relations professional with a strong understanding of media outlets, journalists, content, news channels of all mediums, and of the importance of cultivating relationships with both internal and external clients to execute media strategy. The Marketing & Media Relations Manager plans, develops, and implements marketing and media plans that express the strategic priorities and drive engagement and visibility of The Nature Conservancy in Tennessee.
With these responsibilities, it is expected that s/he will have creative ideas, solid execution, and follow-up skills; experience multi-tasking, and an inclination towards working as part of a larger marketing team. It is also essential that the Marketing & Media Relations Manager has excellent organizational and writing skills, as a key function of the position will be drafting written materials for placement in local and national outlets, developing print, radio, and television content for the media, generating media lists, and assisting producing short news scripts and audio/visual supports. This role will develop media messaging/talking points to support “talent” in the Tennessee chapter and incorporate key publications’ editorial calendars into annual media plans. S/he will have fresh ideas about conservation stories and priorities and a passion for seeing these ideas through to production.
- Manage all aspects of Tennessee’s marketing, communications, and public and media relations
- Ensure that the creative work reflects the positioning, platform and voice of the Conservancy’s marketing objectives and meets internal needs
- Implement operational delivery of branding principles whether applied internally or externally
- Work closely with various constituents, including senior staff, field offices, department and division staff, vendors, and other key stakeholders to ensure delivery of projects that contribute to a positive internal relationship
- Coordinate and manage budgets for the initiative/program
- Collaborate with Conservancy colleagues and external partners to maximize media and promotional opportunities for the Conservancy within target markets throughout Tennessee
- Identify key audiences, including new audiences not being reached
- Ensure that strategy developed is implemented across multiple channels, ie digital, written, press/media, social
- Work with staff to identify storytelling opportunities and determining the best ways to tell the stories and re-purpose that content across channels
- Measure the impact of initiatives
- Develop and pitch stories to targeted outlets via pitch letters, press releases, news alerts, content packages, and other mediums
- Generate concrete and compelling story ideas around the Tennessee chapter’s conservation priorities. The multifaceted approach to media planning and storytelling s/he will take will include engaging in proactive discussions with Conservancy scientists and staff, including media training, monitoring media outlets weekly, and developing strong relationships with key members of the media.