The Ocean and Coasts Network (OCN) is multi-state program working to advance marine conservation across the Southeast United States and Gulf of Mexico. Looking beyond political borders and boundaries, OCN addresses ecosystem-wide challenges facing the region’s estuarine and marine resources with a cohesive approach that leverages expertise and experience from across The Nature Conservancy (TNC). The program focuses on two overarching strategies, ‘healthy oceans’ and ‘healthy estuaries’. Under these strategies, we are working to conserve, restore and enhance biodiversity and ecosystem services in the face of climate change.
The Ocean Conservation Strategy Lead (Strategy Lead) directs the ‘healthy ocean’ strategy in collaboration with the OCN team and TNC state chapter staff. The Strategy Lead is responsible for project management, team coordination, internal and external communication, and partnership development. This includes serving as a primary contact to government agencies, research organizations, private industry and other conservation organizations.
The Strategy Lead guides implementation of the OCN’s ‘healthy ocean’ strategy. They understand issues related to marine systems and species; identify ocean conservation opportunities; and lead the development and implementation of cross-boundary projects. They lead a matrixed team and foster learning across a regional marine conservation community. They serve as a resource expert for TNC’s Southern Division, helping to compile and supply science and policy information at a seascape scale. They serve as liaison and informational contact between TNC, government agencies and officials, industry groups and other interested parties to advance ocean conservation. They support development of the annual work plan; management of the program budget; identification of new sources of public and private funds; and creation and dissemination of communication materials.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Lead and manage a matrixed team to implement a cross-boundary ocean conservation strategy
- Lead the implementation of projects that deliver towards OCN’s Healthy Ocean Strategy goals
- Strengthen TNC’s role as an effective, credible partner in ocean conservation across the Gulf of Mexico and/or Southeast United States
- Create new and strengthen existing partnerships with other organizations in the public, non-profit and private sectors
- Track and communicate science and policy developments relevant to the OCN Healthy Oceans Strategy
- Ensure dimensions of diversity, equity, and inclusion are incorporated into the planning, implementation, and evaluation of projects
- Align OCN strategies and projects with those of TNC’s North American Region, the Global Protect and Provide Teams, and Programs within the OCN geography.
- Make strategic decisions based on analysis, experience, and judgment
- Manage project budgets, assist with annual budget development and tracking, and negotiate/contract with vendors
- Support raising of public and private funds to meet program needs
- Articulate ocean conservation strategies for Marketing and Philanthropy colleagues and materials
- Ensures program compliance with internal policies and external requirements, as well as lobbying laws and regulations