The European Partnerships Manager role will have a particular responsibility for mobilising financial resources from, and strengthening the organisation’s funding relationships with, European based development donors, including governmental agencies, bilateral aid agencies, corporate companies, and relevant EU institutions, but with a focus on trusts and foundations.
The role will focus on building an effective and innovative pipeline of proposals focused on Wetlands International’s priority themes, initiatives and programmes. The post-holder will identify and coordinate funding opportunities and work with Wetlands International Global Office as well as national and regional offices across the global network of offices, with a focus on nurturing potential donor relationships.
The post-holder will bring strong fundraising acumen and programming experience, being able to identify donor opportunities, facilitate donor engagement, assist in the development of fundraising strategies, and coordinate proposal development for large and strategic funding opportunities. Recognising that many conversations with donors involve a review or update around current grants as well as discussions about new opportunities, the Partnerships Manager will also be expected to keep closely informed about the progress of all major institutional grants to the organisation.
The role has an external orientation, but works closely with the Resource Development Manager, as well as with the European Programme Director, thematic Programme Heads and Heads of Office in the Wetlands International network.
Responsibilities and tasks
- Keep abreast of donor intelligence about upcoming opportunities and funding streams from European donors aligned with Wetlands International’s priorities, and ensure their wide and timely communication within the Network;
- Act as operational lead responding to and managing large and strategic funding opportunities; with responsibilities throughout the funding cycle;
- Lead proposal development processes, ensuring all final submissions meet quality standards and donor requirements;
- Identify, scope and position Wetlands International as a partner of choice for new funding modalities such as direct awards, trust funds, corporates and complex consortia partnerships;
- Promote consistency of approaches and best practice across Wetlands International network in proposal development and donor compliance;
- Nurturing the development of new partnerships, bringing Wetlands International to a network of potential donors, and managing and developing emerging relationships with consistency and dedication;
- Based on Wetlands International’s ambitious “Big Ideas”, collate a portfolio of quality programme proposals, research and evidence of impacts of Wetlands work to support future programme funding and facilitating a proactive approach to European funding entities;
- Scope and develop partnerships with other organisations working in the international development and environment sector on resource mobilisation, potential consortium partners, private sector, international organisations and relevant research institutions.
INSIDE Wetlands International: CEO, Resource Development Manager, Director of Operations and Network Development, Heads of Office, Head of Communications and Advocacy, Stream Team Leads/ Programme Leadership Team/ Communications and Advocacy Team, Supervisory Council/ Board of Association. Works under the guidance of the Resource Development Manager.
OUTSIDE Wetlands International: Partners, donors and other key stakeholders. The role will have an external orientation and will also include extensive travel within Europe.