The Prairie Management Technician (PMT) works throughout the Upper Minnesota River Valley area in west central Minnesota participating in prairie management activities. PMT conducts tree removal, invasive species control, native prairie seed harvest, data collection, and tool and equipment maintenance. Work will include collaboration with state and federal agencies in habitat management activities. PMT will be expected to work independently and in a team environment. Work will be performed in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances. This position is based in Morris, MN. This position pays $15.50 to $18.00 per hour for duration of employment as well as legally required benefits. The position will run from September 6th – November 18th, 2022. There are 2 openings for this position.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Are you looking for the opportunity to expand your experience in natural resource management? The Nature Conservancy is dedicated to managing our preserves and collaborating with conservation partners to make landscape-level impacts. We are looking for someone who is passionate, motivated, and willing to learn. Come join TNC and apply today!
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Assist with maintaining public lands including state-owned Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) and federally-owned Waterfowl Production Areas (WPAs), as well as TNC preserves and other protected lands.
- Cut and chemically treat herbaceous and woody exotic species.
- Maintain records of herbicide use and management actions.
- Native prairie seed harvest.
- Identify management needs and communicate information to supervisor verbally or in writing.
- Assist in directing and interacting with Conservation Corps Minnesota (CCM) crews on various projects.
- Maintain tools and equipment.
- Work independently and in team environment.
- Maintain daily journal and work log, summarizing daily work completed.
- Discuss calendar of proposed activities with supervisor daily.
- Other preserve management activities as assigned.
- Ability to perform heavy physical work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances.